Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > If I do it again ... forget the AMP and Volt Meters!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
acefaser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

3 bad parts: 1. Volt meter 2. Amp meter 3. 1 DC power supply.
Don't think I hooked any up incorrectly, however the volt meter said 5 volts for the power supply and the ebay auction instructions said use 12v. I started with 5 to be safe and it didn't power up until I increased it to 12v. I don't think trying it at 5v would hurt the meter. It powered up fine at 12v but wouldn't read voltage.
I don't think I caused any of the items to fail, however you never know...
Had I done a search on your forum or other forums,i probably would not have incorporated them into the build due to the problems people have with them. Even people in this thread and your forum have ordered multiples of the same meter because of the problems/faults.
I agree they look good and give it some bling so maybe I won't be so bitter once my build is complete.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Nail
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad I decided not to include these. Although they are definitely cool, I couldn't justify the extra cost for something that isn't needed.

Neil

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i never understood the usage of a voltmeter on a brew controller... amperage maybe (even still- you only need to figure out how many amps you are pulling once, not continuously), but voltage should not matter to anything, it shouldnt be different from the rest of the house wiring.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
i never understood the usage of a voltmeter on a brew controller... amperage maybe (even still- you only need to figure out how many amps you are pulling once, not continuously), but voltage should not matter to anything, it shouldnt be different from the rest of the house wiring.
Absolutely correct.

The biggest reason why I added the amp/volt meter were because (a) I had room, (b) I thought they'd look good and match the blue power light nicely (yes, vain), (c) the cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things, (d) and because they can help to troubleshoot at a glance if needed (though this is questionable).

I originally thought about adding the ammeter mostly because I was unsure about the actual total max draw. If you look only at the specs for example, a March 809 pump is said to draw 1.2 amps so two should draw 2.4 amps.

In practice however the two running only add 1 amp to the current draw. The 5500W element draws just under 23A. Other things in the panel draw basically nothing.

The voltmeter also lets me see how crappy the city supply is in the heat of the summer when things are running heavy. I don't think I'd never *not* brew if it was too low but at least I don't feel like I'm straining the grid if I see something near 240V.

Kal

Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
burglar
Recipes 

I used this and this.

The voltmeter is self powered. I used the Auber counter/timer, and it has a 5v tap on the back, which works perfectly to power the ammeter. Takes a bunch of stuff out of the box, and a lot less that can go wrong.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
warehousebrewery
Recipes 

Default Sounds odd to me

I agree with Kal, having three failures is odd. I followed Kals procedures and the only problems I had involved my wiring. The diagram on ebay and the diagram on the back of the voltmeter were not the same. I agree that I don't see the point of having a voltmeter. An amp meter for me is very important. I definitely want to see how much current I'm pulling. I have a fluke amp meter (inductive), but a panel meter is much nicer and adds some brewers bling.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
the cost is negligible in the grand scheme of things
In the grand scheme of YOUR thing, I would totally agree. Adding a $20 meter in a more minimalist system could represent 5-10% of the electronics costs.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
In the grand scheme of YOUR thing, I would totally agree. Adding a $20 meter in a more minimalist system could represent 5-10% of the electronics costs.
Yes, I meant for my control panel. Correct. For someone else it could indeed be more.

Kal

Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Let's face it, you can get away with a LOT less of everything and still make beer. The panel meters are just a nice touch on an already over the top system.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Let's face it, you can get away with a LOT less of everything and still make beer. The panel meters are just a nice touch on an already over the top system.
I am now fondly remembering boiling 2 gallons of thick extract wort on the gas stove in 3 gallon pot.....

Quick Reply