Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > I need a single PID, single element diagram

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollist View Post
Only thing missing on the schematics you posted, P-J is the wiring of the temp probe.

Do you have something like that worked up?
Temp probe wiring is really covered in the PID manual. With that said:

Setup for a RTD probe.

Setup for a type K probe.

Quote:
I took some liberties with your diagram P/J in irfanview. Keep in mind that I am know very little about electrical, but I feel I know enough to merely delete stuff!

Would this be an acceptable set-up for a PID controlled BIAB setup?
That's fine. I see no problem in doing it that way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

What is the difference between the 2352 and the 2362 PIDs and which one is better? I am doing a 240V HLT and have 45A SSrs. Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
What is the difference between the 2352 and the 2362 PIDs and which one is better? I am doing a 240V HLT and have 45A SSrs. Thanks
Either one will work. The difference? The SYL-2352 PID uses "fuzzy logic" for its temperature control which provides better accuracy. Take a look at the manuals for each one for a better understanding.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
jhollist
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another quick question (and sorry to Hi-jack GRHunter!):

What plugs are best?

I was thinking either NEMA L6-30, NEMA 10-30, or NEMA 14-40 without using the neutral (are any of these unacceptable?) from element to panel and then a standard 4 wire plug (ala The Electric Brewery) from panel (hardwired) to 240v 30am GFCI receptacle.

the NEMA 10-30 and 14-40 are likely the cheapest options. Are they kosher though.....

Last edited by jhollist; 04-14-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: updated plug from element

Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Mindar76
Recipes 

Thanks for posting guys! I'm looking to do the same thing, a 5500k element, 240v, 30A, single pump, single PID, with dual temp probes (one for BK/HLT, one for MT) which all seems workable from some of PJ's diagrams (thanks, btw! Your work is astounding.) My only alteration is I want a secondary display to continually show the temp in the MT. I'll be using my old IC as the HERM coil, submerged in the BK/HLT, which will be controlled by the PID. In my head it's a simple on/of, PID display, secondary display, button for the element, button for the pump, big ol' E-stop button. Simple, sleek, small. Any suggestions?

Edit:
I've been looking at that diagram you linked to, P-J, for a while now. What I can figure for the element is simply eliminate the dual switch for the element in favor of a single switch, and cut out one of the pumps. That would take care of everything except the secondary display and the e-stop. What would you do to rig those into the existing diagrams?

Last edited by Mindar76; 04-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #16
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindar76 View Post
I'm looking to do a 5500k element, 240v, 30A, single pump, single PID, with dual temp probes (one for BK/HLT, one for MT)

My only alteration is I want a secondary display to continually show the temp in the MT. I'll be using my old IC as the HERM coil, submerged in the BK/HLT, which will be controlled by the PID. In my head it's a simple on/of, PID display, secondary display, button for the element, button for the pump, big ol' E-stop button. Simple, sleek, small. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at that diagram you linked to, P-J, for a while now. What I can figure for the element is simply eliminate the dual switch for the element in favor of a single switch, and cut out one of the pumps. That would take care of everything except the secondary display and the e-stop.
Is this what you are looking for?

Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30d.jpg

BTW: That will all fit in the Auber Instruments Project Box. Place the SYL- 1512 under the cutout for the SYL-2352.

P-J

Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #17
Mindar76
Recipes 

You, sir. Are amazing.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
The HLT is the place where you would want to control the temperature so it's where the probe would normally go. No need for one in the boil kettle.
Though note the temp probe must remain connected to the PID - even when running in manual output mode for the boil.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
What is the difference between the 2352 and the 2362 PIDs and which one is better?
They have slightly different feature sets. You may want to read through the spec sheets and see which you like more.

2362 supports SSR and relay outputs, has a limit operating mode, and is closer to a "traditional" PID (though it does have a configurable AI).

2352 is SSR only, and has a more sophisticated AI. It also uses an entirely different value for P (not proportional band) so experienced PID users may find it a bit strange.

IMO, the 2352 is probably better for the "auto-tune and forget" crowd who don't want to learn (or mess with) PID operation. Folks more comfortable with PIDs will probably prefer the 2362 which is easier to tweak into a critically damped system (for mash temp control).

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #20
itrider
Recipes 

Quote:
I took some liberties with your diagram P/J in irfanview. Keep in mind that I am know very little about electrical, but I feel I know enough to merely delete stuff!

Would this be an acceptable set-up for a PID controlled BIAB setup?

jhollist, Do you have a higher resolution copy of this image? This is much closer to the design I am leaning towards; however, I will be using a 120v setup with 2000w element.

Thanks.

Quick Reply