Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Hybrid setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I have no idea where you got your ideas from but I have been using a temperature controlled gas fired HLT for a long time and it works real well. A PID, a Honeywell gas valve and a 24 volt transformer will work just fine. You don't need to get the expensive intermittent pilot valve. You can get a standing pilot valve with a safety if the pilot or burner go out for a lot less than you think. Even using electric, the element being controlled by a PID is either full on or off. The advantage of electricity is efficiency not accuracy. Even the smaller pro brewery's use gas fired vessels.

Below is a gas fired brewhouse brewery

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
harpo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The wires fall down out of the way. Nothing is permanent yet. I use the LP gas through the honeywell 24v gas valves Guy suggests to get up to temp. Everything is controlled by my BCS-462. Then I use the electric to maintain. My gas valves cycle a lot when they are up to temp. Just me trying something to check how well it works.

Guy, been hanging out at probrewer lately? That 600l setup was nice.

Primary--NADA
Secondary--NADA
Keg--NADA
On Deck--Waiting for the TTB to give me my brewers notice.

Big Choice Brewing Company
Broomfield, CO
@BigChoiceBrew
info@bigchoicebrewing.com
OPENING APRIL 2012

Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo View Post
The wires fall down out of the way. Nothing is permanent yet. I use the LP gas through the honeywell 24v gas valves Guy suggests to get up to temp. Everything is controlled by my BCS-462. Then I use the electric to maintain. My gas valves cycle a lot when they are up to temp. Just me trying something to check how well it works.

Guy, been hanging out at probrewer lately? That 600l setup was nice.
One day I will have something like that......in my dreams. Whenever I hang out at Probrewer my wife wants to put a bib on me to prevent me from drewling all over myself.

Guy

Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #14
hatrickwah
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I like my gas, so most likely I'll stick with it, maybe convert to the NG in the house at some point. I was just pondering whether or not it was possible to vary the flame any. No big deal really.
Guy, thanks for the input. That's a cute little brewery. I've worked around a brewery for years, the one I worked at had 2 kettle types, but I only ever really followed the process on the bigger of the 2 systems. The brewery has a 16bbl Gas fired kettle (sucked to be around during summer) and a 50bbl Steam heated kettle & percolator that work beautifully.
More than likely I'll go with a hybrid setup in that I'll use 120v electric on the HLT just so I can fire it up the night before and that way it will be ready to go in the morning when I am. Right now I have to turn the gas on around 9 AM to begin brewing around 11am. Of course that's also mid winter, not sure how i will perform during the summer.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #15
harpo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
One day I will have something like that......in my dreams. Whenever I hang out at Probrewer my wife wants to put a bib on me to prevent me from drewling all over myself.
You and me both! My wife starts changing the bank passwords and canceling credit cards when I get that look in my eye.

'Course it does offer us tinkerers a lot of food for thought, doesn't it?

Primary--NADA
Secondary--NADA
Keg--NADA
On Deck--Waiting for the TTB to give me my brewers notice.

Big Choice Brewing Company
Broomfield, CO
@BigChoiceBrew
info@bigchoicebrewing.com
OPENING APRIL 2012

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #16
hatrickwah
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Guy, this may seem like a dumb question, but which honeywell controls are you refering to? I've seen a number of threads here, but it seems like links either go bad or the part won't work with BCS. At this point the plan would be to put the honeywell on the MLT, and then the electric on the HLT, the BK will stay gas, and stay stand alone for now.

Now to just get this all by the wife, without to much fuss (a guy can dream right).

Been busy this weekend:

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickwah View Post
Guy, this may seem like a dumb question, but which honeywell controls are you refering to? I've seen a number of threads here, but it seems like links either go bad or the part won't work with BCS. At this point the plan would be to put the honeywell on the MLT, and then the electric on the HLT, the BK will stay gas, and stay stand alone for now.

I drew this up on AutoCad a while back for someone else on the forum and it fits your application. They have VR8200A2132 gas valves on Ebay for $59.00 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-VR8200...item35aed5388f). The only other things you would need is a Q314A Pilot Burner for $17.00 (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Honeywell-Q3...item51924d09be) and a 24 volt Transformer for $7.45 (http://cgi.ebay.com/BASLER-24-VOLT-T...item2a0c28af79). It comes to about $83 which is close to your target price.

Guy

Quick Reply