Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How Much Electric

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
mykayel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How Much Electric

I will eventually go to all electric brewing... but that will be a future project. But for the mean time I am finishing my basement and part of which I am setting aside part of the storage area for my brewing. So my question is how much electric should I run over there? At a minimum I will have one 30 amp 220v circuit for the boil kettle and one 20 amp 110v that I will use for my fermentation fridge, and I may other outlets off of it in the brew area for running pumps, etc.

So should I run another dedicated circuit for brewing? Either a 110v 20amp or another 220v 30 amp? I don't want to over do it if it isn't needed but I have an easy oportunity to do so if it would be a good idea. What would you do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

one 220 should work, I'd add at least one more 120 outlet It's much easier to add one now than snake it through later.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would run a 220 circuit for more than 30 amps, I would put in wiring for 40-50 amps (you can put in a 30 amp breaker but if you need more power you just have to swap the breaker out, and the hard part is running wire anyway.

I would put in another 110 volt circuit, and put in at least 2 outlets on each circuit. Include space for things like a radio, or computer.

Also don't forget lots of lighting, I find most people don't put enough power for light in when rewiring things. Put lighting on its own circuit, and put in plenty of fixtures. Think how hard it is to tell if something is clean if you are fighting shadows.

Just my 2 cents from the perspective of someone who had to re-rewire there house.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with running wire for a 220V 50A circuit. If you ever convert your HLT to electric and want to run both at the same time for something like back to back batches, you will need the 50amps.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

if your short on cash you can always run the wires in the walls from breaker box to your desired location and if at a later date you need the outlets you just need to add a breaker and install the outlet, I have done this in my basement when I built my house just use blank cover plates over the outlet box.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
mykayel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonex View Post
if your short on cash you can always run the wires in the walls from breaker box to your desired location and if at a later date you need the outlets you just need to add a breaker and install the outlet, I have done this in my basement when I built my house just use blank cover plates over the outlet box.
Its really the cost of the wire that is the issue. 10-3 wire is about $100 for a 50' length and I'm probably going to need just a little more than that. Yeah, the cost of copper has really gone up. I might run 8-3 wire for more amperage later... its weird though, I'll have to actually go check the physical store, but online at homedepot the 8-3 wire is cheaper than the 10-3 wire (both copper), so I'll definatly go that route.

Thanks for the tip on the lighting, I'll definatly go more than less for that.

Quick Reply