Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to install a cheap 1/4-20 TC probe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default How to install a cheap 1/4-20 TC probe?

So I got my cheap Sestos PID coming and started looking at mounting the probe. To make it universal between my keggles I was going to mount it on the pump outlet and whirlpool back into the HLT, recirc to the MLT, and whirlpool the BK at the end of the boil (using the PID to just monitor the temp).
Then I saw the cheap 1/4-20 thread thermocouples that come free with the PID have the anoying "back nut" arangment, i.e. the TC probe is sitting loose in the nut and will no be liquid tight at all
I have seen some use JB weld to seal the TC probe, has anyone done something else?
I was thinking maybe tap the side of a socket to accept a bolt and then tap the bolt for the TC probe, or just tap the socket to just before it breaks through. Just don't know how much this would cause the temp to lag due to the socket needing to heat up first.
Anyone got any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2
So I got my cheap Sestos PID coming and started looking at mounting the probe. To make it universal between my keggles I was going to mount it on the pump outlet and whirlpool back into the HLT, recirc to the MLT, and whirlpool the BK at the end of the boil (using the PID to just monitor the temp).
Then I saw the cheap 1/4-20 thread thermocouples that come free with the PID have the anoying "back nut" arangment, i.e. the TC probe is sitting loose in the nut and will no be liquid tight at all
I have seen some use JB weld to seal the TC probe, has anyone done something else?
I was thinking maybe tap the side of a socket to accept a bolt and then tap the bolt for the TC probe, or just tap the socket to just before it breaks through. Just don't know how much this would cause the temp to lag due to the socket needing to heat up first.
Anyone got any other suggestions?
Do you have an o-ring on it? Add washes as needed to use up the extra grip length of the threads.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
jose4030
Recipes 

EZ fix get the 2" RTD Sensor from Auberins

Problem Solved!

Side Note: What do yo think about the Sestos PID?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts

if your probe is 1/4" OD like most are, you can get a 1/4" compression to 1/4" MPT fitting

use a metal compression insert if you want the probe to perminantly be attached to the fitting, or a plastic compression insert if you want it to be removable.

small pic, but like these

Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose4030 View Post
EZ fix get the 2" RTD Sensor from Auberins

Problem Solved!

Side Note: What do yo think about the Sestos PID?
Only issue is I want to mount it on the pump outlet so 2" will be too long, and I want to go TC becuase, as I have heard, they are faster at responding to temp changes.
Just to clear up what the 1/4-20 threaded TC looks like I drew the picture belwo in in MSpaint and this is from the internet
I was thinking maybe if I heated up the gap between the thread and probe and soldered them together it might work... might
tc.jpg  

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Food grade silicone? Just stabbing in the dark here.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
jose4030
Recipes 

I think a copper/brass threaded plug with a center hole drilled and threaded, would work.

I asked about the PID because I ordered the same one a was just wondering if it worked for you.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
mattd2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose4030 View Post
I think a copper/brass threaded plug with a center hole drilled and threaded, would work.

I asked about the PID because I ordered the same one a was just wondering if it worked for you.
Sorry, just realise I didn't answer that one. I haven't recieved the PID yet either but the thread on here made it look promising.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sest...-220-a-203939/

Food grade (?) silicon sealant would be and idea, or some expoxy resin. Or might just have to go the bolt way.
I just don't understand what these probes a useful for without modifying them, you would think any probe that you screw into something would need to be sealed.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does it thread into a flared pipe style fitting like a brakeline? If so that might give you a water tight connection.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
you would think any probe that you screw into something would need to be sealed.
not everything needs to be air/liquid tight. furnaces, ovens, heaters, etc... for liquid, a thermowell is almost always used.

the speed difference between thermocouples and RTDs is insignificant in this application. dont let that be the deciding factor. if you can more easily mount a RTD (without using methods normally frowned upon by engineering folk, like epoxy/caulk/sealant), do that.

Quick Reply