Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to get 2" ferrule into keggle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Bachhus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default How to get 2" ferrule into keggle?

Hey guys, looking for advise on making a 2" hole in the side of my keggle for a 2" Triclover ferrule. I'm using this to mount my element via triclover. Do you suggest getting a 2" greenlee knock out punch, Ideal 2" hole cutter or other practicle suggestion? How did you do yours?

Thanks
Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
ColeBeer78
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Bi-metal hole saws work just fine. Just go slow, alot of pressure and a little bit of oil. Easier than you think.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Brew52
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I used an inch and seven-eights (1 7/8) bi-metal hole saw and then carefully made the hole larger a little at a time with my dremel tool checking for fit each time. I wanted the ferrule to fit tight into (not on top of) the side of the kettle. I then had a guy Tig weld the Ferrule and grind the inside smooth after. It turned out very nice. I'm sure there are many other methods out there, but this one worked for me. Good Luck. Just drill slow speed and steady with some cutting oil. It does go easier than you might think.

NAUTICAL NONSENSE BREWING CO.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Bachhus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tips and info guys! I'm heading to a buddies place today to do the work on them.

Mark

Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Jbt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Actually soapy water spraying the cutter teeth constantly would be better than oil. When cutting stainless you want to keep The cutter and material cool. Oil does not do that. And as stated go slow

Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
Bachhus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well you guys were not kidding. A decent Bimetal hole saw cut through these things easy peasy with a dab of cutting oil. Just for future reference, a 2" hole saw will cut a hole just the right size to WELD in a 2" triclover fitting. You would need a smaller one if you were doing the solder in style method of dimpling the hole.

Unfortunetly no pictures but I will do a full build thread once I start putting everything together.

Thanks for the tips
Mark

Quick Reply