The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How is everyone here keeping hops and hot break from fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
frenchtoasted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How is everyone here keeping hops and hot break from fermenter?

Just wondering how everyone here is keeping hops and break material from entering their fermenter. I have read on Kals site that whirl-pooling doesn't work w the electric kettles because of the element. His screen design on his kettle looks perfect, but I am using an immersion chiller, so I think all the break material will clog it.
Just wondering what everyone here is using.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I run my auto-siphon hose into a sanitized nylon grain bag when I transfer from the boil pot - catches just about everything.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I too have the same set-up (plate chiller) but have yet to brew on it, so i'm not sure how valuable my input will be. I love IPAs so I was really worried about this so I ended up buying a hop spider from stainlessbrewing.com, the one with the nylon bag. I also added an 18" Stainless steel braid connected to the ball valve at the bottom of my BK. This braid was in my Mash Tun previously but I just upgraded that to a false bottom, so had it laying around. I'm hoping that combining the 2 screening methods will keep a majority of the break and hop material out of the chiller and then of course out of the fermenter.
-Corey

Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I just put an element and whirlpool pickup in my kettle. I did my whirlpool and left just about everything in the kettle. No idea it isn't supposed to work. Also, I use a counter flow chiller.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
frenchtoasted
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis
I just put an element and whirlpool pickup in my kettle. I did my whirlpool and left just about everything in the kettle. No idea it isn't supposed to work. Also, I use a counter flow chiller.
I think Kal said it doesn't work because the element gets in the way, or hinders the whirlpool effect. I plan on adding a large screen type filter over the dip tube in the future. I am just concerned that all the break material will clog it now where I am using an immersion chiller and not a counter flow.
I am a huge hop head, and love to use crazy quantities of pellet hops. The pic of Kals setup doing a Pliney clone was proof to me that his screen design works.

Maybe for now I will just try whirl pooling and see how much material I can keep in the kettle.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Ahh I see. I haven't tried brewing any ipa's yet with my new setup yet. My first batch only called for an ounce...now I know I'm going to run into trouble later on. Does he list where he got his screen?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
frenchtoasted
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you go on his site and look under Kettle Design in the left column, you will see photos of his design. He is selling them via a link at $60, or $90 for all stainless. Essentially, it looks like a dip tube and a large piece of stainless mesh that is shaped to fit the bottom of the kettle. Custom made to order.
If I can figure out the proper gauge screen/mesh, I am sure it would be a piece of cake to build.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 659 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 588

I use a cylindrical hop screen in my boil kettle to contain the hop matter, and I have a bazooka screen mounted inside the kettle at the "out" port to catch some of the break material.

Some break matter still makes it into the fermenter, but as I understand it, that's a good thing. It contains nutrients yeast like.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchtoasted View Post
Just wondering how everyone here is keeping hops and break material from entering their fermenter. I have read on Kals site that whirl-pooling doesn't work w the electric kettles because of the element. His screen design on his kettle looks perfect, but I am using an immersion chiller, so I think all the break material will clog it.
Just wondering what everyone here is using.
I learned a long time ago that as long as I used powdered compressed hops the hops and hot break I don't get out just settles to the bottom of my fermenter along with my trube. So I let my brew pot settle for an hour or two with the lid on then I transfer over and most of the stuff stays behind.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I don't really bother. BIAB, no-chill, everything goes into a Winpak that I use through fermentation. It all settles to the bottom with time and patience (aided by a cold crash and sometimes by gelatin).

Quick Reply