Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electric Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/)
-   -   How do you clean your element? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/how-do-you-clean-your-element-372072/)

Garrett 12-05-2012 06:32 AM

How do you clean your element?
 
I have about 20 batches on my rig and always have difficulty getting the heating element fully clean. normal process before and after every brew is to heat up water to a boil and let it boil with PBW in the kettle for around 10 minutes, sometimes it works well and other times it looks like this:

http://garrettcarroll.com/element.jpg


Is there anything else better I can do to get it cleaner? Some brews have been affected with a burnt taste from this issue.

mattd2 12-05-2012 07:16 AM

What strength PBW are you using? I have read somewhere that an acid rinse - alkali wash - acid rinse is better than just straight alkali but I think that was in reference to beer stone and not what you have there.

Garrett 12-05-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattd2 (Post 4651091)
What strength PBW are you using? I have read somewhere that an acid rinse - alkali wash - acid rinse is better than just straight alkali but I think that was in reference to beer stone and not what you have there.

Strength as in the concentration of PBW added to the water? If so, I pour a generous amount in about 2 gallons of water, but have never really measured the amount.

mattd2 12-05-2012 09:10 AM

Northern brewer's site recomends 1-2 oz per gallon, I measure out 2 oz to see if that is more or less than you are using now. And you miight want to let is sit for an hour or two (if you can keep that temp up that would be better - probably somewhere like 40-60C

iBrewR 12-05-2012 09:43 AM

What element are you using there?
Wattage? Material? Plating?

CoalCracker 12-05-2012 03:43 PM

Let some hot oxyclean soak in there overnight. Then I'll empty that out and scrub it with a green scrubby. If it's still not clean, i'll get some BKF and pour some on there and scrub with the scrubby. I never get it 100% but it is much cleaner.

ryan_george 12-05-2012 04:31 PM

Soap and a sponge is all that I use!

rcrabb22 12-05-2012 04:48 PM

I use oxyclean, warm water and a small stiff bristle brush within a hour after transferring wort to fermenter. Looks like brand new after 10 or so brews

Garrett 12-05-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattd2 (Post 4651144)
Northern brewer's site recomends 1-2 oz per gallon, I measure out 2 oz to see if that is more or less than you are using now. And you miight want to let is sit for an hour or two (if you can keep that temp up that would be better - probably somewhere like 40-60C

Ill try this out! thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iBrewR (Post 4651157)
What element are you using there?
Wattage? Material? Plating?

its a 5500-Watt Incoloy Element

heres the exact one: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoalCracker (Post 4651911)
Let some hot oxyclean soak in there overnight. Then I'll empty that out and scrub it with a green scrubby. If it's still not clean, i'll get some BKF and pour some on there and scrub with the scrubby. I never get it 100% but it is much cleaner.

ok ill give that a whirl as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan_george (Post 4652073)
Soap and a sponge is all that I use!

thats insane! its so caked on it would be impossible for me to get that to work.

brewmastercontrols 12-05-2012 05:11 PM

I just use a sponge and water, the double sided type that has scotch brite on one side. I clean just after brewing sometimes with a bit of PBW, so far no buildup or issues or anything like the photo above, this includes beers from 1.040 upto the 1.100 range.

Cheers


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.