Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to connect spa panel to full breaker box?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #21
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 782 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd

Good idea on the surface mount receptacle.
Is 10/3 NM basically Romex, and does it have a ground? Can I get shorter lengths at HD or Blowes?

Thanks
Yes romex and it should have a ground. I believe you can buy it by the foot at most stores.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #22
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
I originally looked at a similar option (i.e. long cord with receptacle), but I'm pretty sure the wife would have hated the giant cord hanging under the breaker panel.

What about the following?

1. Run #6 THHN wire to run from the GFI breaker to your gang box. Pretty cheap at $1.30/ft at HD.

2. Mount one of these receptacles on your gang box: (http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053)

3. Use an RV extension cord like this to your control box:
http://www.elecordset.com/moreinfo.a...ault.aspx&ai=M

Just a thought. . . and might save you some dough.

That's a pretty good deal on the RV cord, except 50' won't make it to the shed. I need 75', and I couldn't find any longer rv cords on google that were cheaper than the 75' 10/4 cable on Ebay.
I could build a rolling brew stand that I could roll up to the patio so I wouldn't need so much cable, but I like to brew in my brew shed/man cave. It gets me out of the house and my shed protects me from the rain and cold weather. Wish I had a friggin garage, but I don't.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #23
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Bummer. 75' is pretty long run and it's one huge coil of cable in 10/3. If it were me, I'd consider BOBrob's suggestion to dig a trench out to your brewshed, and bury a cable in conduit. Assuming you don't already have power in your brewshed, why not run 50A (6/4) to your shed in conduit, and then mount a subpanel in the shed with breakers for 220 and 110V. That way you could brew with 220 and have 110 available for lights and other fun toys. 50A also opens up the possibility of having a welding rig . . .

Old 10-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
Bummer. 75' is pretty long run and it's one huge coil of cable in 10/3. If it were me, I'd consider BOBrob's suggestion to dig a trench out to your brewshed, and bury a cable in conduit. Assuming you don't already have power in your brewshed, why not run 50A (6/4) to your shed in conduit, and then mount a subpanel in the shed with breakers for 220 and 110V. That way you could brew with 220 and have 110 available for lights and other fun toys. 50A also opens up the possibility of having a welding rig . . .
Buring the feed is a good idea. That is what I did to up the feed to my garage. And a bigger feed is usually not a bad idea either. I ran 100A. You can get direct bury cable also. I have used UF cable (like romex but rated for underground) up to #6. For my feed, I used direct bury aluminum cable because it is much cheaper than copper. The aluminum is either UD or USE. I used UD (single conductors) and ran an insulated copper #6 for the ground.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #25
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Yup code I wasnt sure how you feel. Still rather than messing with the panel in the house just bury the cable, connect to a sub panel in the shed 220 &110 V and have an electrician connect to the Main below the meter. That way you are up to code and good to go. Hauling out that much cable is work. I also see this fishing pole in the photo, go fishen and drink about it. Cheers

Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBrob View Post
I also see this fishing pole in the photo, go fishen and drink about it. Cheers
Spoken like a true yooper, eh? I'm a former Michigander myself (not a yooper, but born and raised for 30ish years in the Grand Rapids area), so I'm enjoying getting advice from 2 different yoopers.

I've thought about burying cable out to the shed, and may still do it, but there is a possibility we may have to move in the next year. Since I'm not sure if we are staying or not, I've been trying to set things up to be portable so if we move I can pull everything out and take it with me.

I did do some searching on the UF cable, and it turns out it's cheaper than the cable I was looking at, so I may use that as my 'extension cable' for now and if we plan to stay I can just bury it and hard wire it to the panel. I know it will be a pain in the arse to unroll all that cable, but I'm OK with doing it for now.
I don't expect to need more than 30 amps in the shed - it's only 10x12 and it works well for a brew shed but it's not really big enough for a workshop since I have all my lawn and garden stuff jammed in there too.

If I do bury the cable later on, how deep does it need to go? The ground here is rock hard red clay with rocks the size of bowling balls randomly scattered underground.
Also, the ground under the shed floods to about 12" deep with water during a storm (the shed is on 12" piers). It's in a small gully. Is there a problem with the UF cable coming up thru the water and into the shed?

Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Holy @#$@#

I see people complaining about sketchy electrical advice being throw around HBT and I didn't believe them until now.

What you want to do is consolidate four of the existing breakers into two duplex breakers which will free up two full positions for a 240v breaker.

Then run that out to the shed and put the spa panel out there.

I wouldn't trust my advice on this either.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #28
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Holy @#$@#

I see people complaining about sketchy electrical advice being throw around HBT and I didn't believe them until now.

What you want to do is consolidate four of the existing breakers into two duplex breakers which will free up two full positions for a 240v breaker.

Then run that out to the shed and put the spa panel out there.

I wouldn't trust my advice on this either.
Yup, that is roughly what my plan is, except I'll use a 30 amp GFCI breaker in the main panel and skip the spa panel.

I'm going to start assembling parts for a control panel next week, and when I've made some progress I'll start a thread to show my work. When I get the controller built and need to run power out to the shed I'll come back and update this thread.

Thanks for the help I've gotten from everyone, especially the diagrams from PJ that inspired me to start this project.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, the only reason to go with the spa panel is that it's a lot cheaper than the 30a Murray GFCI. The bonus is that you get a local disconnect at your brewing location.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #30
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post

If I do bury the cable later on, how deep does it need to go? The ground here is rock hard red clay with rocks the size of bowling balls randomly scattered underground.
Also, the ground under the shed floods to about 12" deep with water during a storm (the shed is on 12" piers). It's in a small gully. Is there a problem with the UF cable coming up thru the water and into the shed?

Thanks again!
I believe code requires 18 inches for residential. I can guarantee there is cable buried in my yard that is not nearly that deep and I'm not worried.

Water is not an issue with underground rated cable. Just be carefull when you install to not nick the insulation (it is pretty tough anyway). A bit of sand surrounding the cable is good insurance.

Quick Reply