New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to connect spa panel to full breaker box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
bigljd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default How to connect spa panel to full breaker box?

Below is a pic of my breaker box - obviously there is not room for adding another breaker. Is there some way to connect a spa panel directly to this breaker panel?

In a previous thread I talked about running an extension cable from the laundry room (dryer outlet) to my brew shed. I realized that if I could tie the spa panel straight into the breaker panel and plug a 10/4 cable into the spa panel, it would greatly reduce the length of extension cable required to reach the brew shed. When not in use, the 10/4 cable would be rolled up and the spa panel breaker would be turned off.

This is something I'd have an electrician do (if it's possible to do). I'm reasonably knowledgeable when it comes to smaller electrical projects, but have little experience with 240v and home wiring projects. I'm not comfortable poking around in breaker panels, even with the main breaker off.

My full breaker box

Utility room where breaker box lives, and my brew shed in the background.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just hooked up a hot tub extension where I had the same problem, no breaker room.

I pulled the front panel (around the breakers) off. I was able to hook the wires to the backplane underneath the lowest breaker.

Be sure to run the correct size wire for the breaker that you are going to use. A spa breaker is 50A GFCI and requires 6 AWG wire.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just curious. Have you ever pulled the front cover off the panel? You might be surprised to find that not all breakers aren't live (i.e. wired up to a house circuit). I had a similar deal and was able to move some things around to make room for a 50A double-breaker.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLOVE View Post
Just curious. Have you ever pulled the front cover off the panel? You might be surprised to find that not all breakers aren't live (i.e. wired up to a house circuit). I had a similar deal and was able to move some things around to make room for a 50A double-breaker.
I haven't pulled the cover off - I assumed all the breakers are in use since all of them are marked as being used on the back of the panel door. I'll have to take a peak behind the panel cover when I'm home to see if all the breakers are wired up, but for now I'm thinking they are all being used.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
PLOVE
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Only way to be sure is to pull the cover (or start flipping breakers and see if one fails to turn off anything obvious). I think I'd vote for option #1.

When popped the cover on my panel nearly 30% of "ON" breakers were unwired. Basically the previous owner must have decided it was cheaper to install breakers than blanks. . . go figure. The 50A I used was basically a freebie. . . Lucky me I guess.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
I just hooked up a hot tub extension where I had the same problem, no breaker room.

I pulled the front panel (around the breakers) off. I was able to hook the wires to the backplane underneath the lowest breaker.

Be sure to run the correct size wire for the breaker that you are going to use. A spa breaker is 50A GFCI and requires 6 AWG wire.
Not to be a downer or anything, but this is a VERY bad idea. Not only are you overloading your breaker panel but you are also risking your life and property

If there is a fault in your line to your spa panel you have NO protection what so ever and the panel will feed the fault endlessly
and if your house burns down the insurance company WILL NOT pay the claim

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
sdugre
Recipes 

What I would do is swap out four single pole breakers for two tandem breakers. This is what they look like:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&q=tandem+breakers&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7500737492550389422&sa=X&ei=cyynTtu HAePu0gH_oby9Dg&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

That will free up enough space for a two pole breaker for your spa panel.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
bigljd
Recipes 

Here's a naked view of the panel, with all her private parts on display. She's definitely in full use.

The 5 lower breakers on the right are all 15 amp, so it sounds promising that I could swap out 4 of those for the 2 tandem 15 amp breakers, and then throw in a 50 amp 240 breaker at the bottom. I forgot/didn't know that the tandem breakers existed.

I think this is a viable solution on how to power my electric brewery (unless someone jumps in and tells me otherwise). I've already put together a parts list for a control panel (based on a PJ design), so now I have some incentive to start building it.

Thanks for the input!

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 21

what is your service coming in? 200amp?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
bigljd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
what is your service coming in? 200amp?
The main breaker is 150 amp - it's a pretty small house (1100 sq ft), so they didn't wire it with a lot of juice.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Quick Reply