Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How can I tell what my main panel is?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
lwcm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How can I tell what my main panel is?

Hoping to upgrade to an e-brew setup this year. We have a fuse box instead of a breaker panel and the swmbo has vetoed the idea of upgrading the panel just for me to brew with. So, I'm trying to figure out what amperage my main panel is. What should I be looking for?

I know that I have one 20a circuit and one 15a circuit to use in my workshop and it's possible that I could get the 15a upgraded to a 20a service. But if I'm going to be paying a dude to run wire and upgrade I was thinking just putting in a 50a outlet might be cheaper as the main panel as about 18" away on the other side of a wall.

Just hoping that this idea doesn't get priced out of "oh hell no" range at the outset.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
VonMessa
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You probably have 60 amp service running into the house.

You can tell by looking at the amperage of you main fuse in the fusebox.

There are many many other reasons for upgrading your service. Safety and adding to the value of the home would be the first to come to mind.

Do you have problems making coffee and toast at the same time without blowing fuses?

Für lange zu leben, ist wie eine Katze und trinkt wie ein Hund!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
lwcm
Recipes 

I closed the access door and saw that it read "100 amp panel" would that indicate 100a service? There are two big fuse holders that have two 35a tube fuses each; so the biggest service looks to be 70a.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
VonMessa
Recipes 

I am going to enter a caveat here that I am NOT a professional electrician.

but

It would probably indicate that you have 100 amp service, which was normal residential capacity from the early 1950s to the mid-1960.

Are either of the double 35 amp fuses the main fuse?

I'm going to wager that, if you have an electric stove and clothes dryer, 1 of those double fuses is for the stove and the other is for the dryer.

If your service is 100 amp, the main fuse should be 100 amp.

If you want to run a line for brewing, at 50 amps, a new socket for a 50 amp fuse would have to be added to the panel (if they are even available) and the appropriate gauge wire is needed to run to your brew rig. I believe 6 gauge is appropriate. It is about $1.50 /foot and not easy to work with. Rule of thumb is that your wire should be rated for 125% of the load you will put on it. Ever looked in your toaster when you use it? The wires glow to toast the bread. That is what they would do in the walls o your house if they couldn't handle the load you were using them for. That would be ummmmm.... bad.

I would certainly use an electrician in your case. It is not worth burning down your house. It is also not fun getting whacked by 240 volts. It is going to cost a few hundred dollars. Ask for a quote to run a new line for brewing and one to upgrade your service. Compare the difference and decide whether or not it is worth it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My recommendation is to find an electrician buddy who likes beer. Let him do the electrical work for beer. You buy any parts. Both are winners & no electrocution or house fires!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Gunfighter04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the Panel label is for the Max load. There is probably a main at the top of the panel, look at the amp rating on that fuse.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.
NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

Keg1: Scotch Ale
Keg2: Nut Brown
Bottled: Cider
Primary: Belgian Strong

Old 03-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
lwcm
Recipes 

Drat, can't see it without pulling it. I'll find a time when I can shut off the whole house and pull it.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
VonMessa
Recipes 

Pulling it WILL shut off the whole house.

Something tells me that calling an electrician may be in your best interests.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMessa View Post
It would probably indicate that you have 100 amp service, which was normal residential capacity from the early 1950s to the mid-1960.
I wouldn't go by that... My rental was built mid-50's and only has a 60 amp service. The duplex's we rent down the street were built in the early 80's and have 200amp service, but my house built 10 years later and 3 doors down only has a 100amp service.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
VonMessa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
I wouldn't go by that... My rental was built mid-50's and only has a 60 amp service. The duplex's we rent down the street were built in the early 80's and have 200amp service, but my house built 10 years later and 3 doors down only has a 100amp service.
Hence the disclaimer of me not being a professional electrician.
I changed my service from 60 amp fuses to 200 amp breakers, to include new ground spike, service entrance cable, grounds to plumbing, meter socket and replacement of knob/tube wiring and receptacles/switches throughout the house, right up to running the new service-entrance cable to the mast head. When it came time to connect it to the street line, that is where I called an electrician.

It was the norm in those years, but not a hard and fast rule to go by. 100 amp written on the box is a good indication, though.

Bottom line is that, if one is having a difficult time even determining what the amperage of one's service is, it is probably best to get an electrician involved. There is no shame in not wanting to get electrocuted or burn one's house down and it would certainly NOT be worth the savings of doing it one's self.

Quick Reply