Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to build a control panel (part 1)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #501
milldoggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just the add to kals point. I was having an odd wiring isssue, since I had three identical pids, probes, I was able to swap the cables and isolate the issue, bad xlr connector.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

My hop stopper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 AM   #502
grupe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

subscribe

Old 01-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #503
dulavjo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my setup will 120vac just to run the heating element for my RIMs system. can I still use the DPDt switches with my system. I am wiring it up the same way Kal has done.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #504
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulavjo View Post
my setup will 120vac just to run the heating element for my RIMs system. can I still use the DPDt switches with my system. I am wiring it up the same way Kal has done.
There are no switches on my setup that are double pole/double throw (DPDT). Industrial switches are a bit different if you're using to standard electronics switch wording (DPST, DPDT, etc). They use what are called 'contact blocks' that are separate from the operator/selector.
See here for complete explanation: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/co...-part-1?page=9

You can likely keep using what I have if you simply add more contactors to switch the circuits you want to switch. How exactly that would work I can't help you with as I don't know exactly what you're trying to do.

Good luck!

Kal

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #505
dulavjo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry daughter sent note before I could proof read it.
I will be using 120vac to power my RIMs system. will the boil,HLT and the power in relays (30A/250vac DPDT 120vac coil) will the relays work ok with 120vac coming into the box instead of 240. also the yellow LEDs lights that are operated on 240vac is the wiring the same for 120vac. I bought the 120vac LEDs

Thank you.
John

Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #506
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

John,

My control panel design is meant to run two heating elements (one at a time), provides temp monitoring for 3 kettles, and includes all the switches and control process required for 3 kettle HERMS setup. Using this control panel to run a single 120V RIMS element just doesn't make sense.

Sorry I can't be of assistance but you're not being clear about what you're trying to do exactly. I simply don't undertand as you're providing so little information. I suggest you start a new thread with your intended designs and goals. Provide as much detail as possible so that people can assist.

Kal

Old 01-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #507
Brew52
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think I see a "Flux Capacitor" in there from the movie: Back To The Future!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #508
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Been working on a 'beefed up' 50 amp control panel meant for larger batches. I thought I'd share some pictures...

From the front the 50 amp panel appears just like the regular 30 amp panel:

Below are two extra heating element receptacles (to allow 2 elements per kettle) and a beefier 50 amp power input receptacle:

On the inside the 30 amp wiring and components are upgraded to 50 amp where required and extra fuses are added to protect the 30 amp wiring:

The fusing is required because on the standard 30A control panel the 30A circuit breaker in the electrical panel wall protects the 10 ga wiring. With this larger 50A panel the 50A circuit breaker in the electrical panel protects the 6ga wiring but we now need to add protection for the smaller 10ga wiring. So 30A fuses in 30A fuse holders are added to each of the HOT lines between the HLT and BK contactors and the element receptacles. 8 fuses/breakers total. This protects the 10 ga wire inside the panel and the 10 ga external wire between the element receptacle and the kettle. Just in case.

I like fact that the front of the panel does not change, so it looks and feels the same, the process is the same. You just now have nearly twice as much power in each kettle, allowing easy brewing for 1 barrel of beer (31 gallons) and possibly more. The upper limit is somewhat undefined, I probably wouldn't want to do more than 1.5 to 2 bbl with this but there are many factors involved (ambient temp/wind/etc).

Kal

Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #509
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Detailed wiring diagrams for the 50A control panel are now available as well, perfect for brewing 1bbl (31 gallons) or more. See here.

Kal

Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #510
dburgette
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
Thanks!
Let me know if you find any mistakes (even typo's) or things that aren't clear.

Kal
There is one question that don't seem to find anyone else having a problem with. I can't seem to find the inline fuse/holder that you used. I know there is a link, but I can't find the 7a 14 awg.

Quick Reply