Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to build a control panel (part 1)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #171
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

<------- This guy. Depending on the size of the project.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #172
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackbrown View Post
What did you have in mind....perform primarily assembly functions (read schematics then solder/crimp/cable from them), or system design as well?

Kev.
The system is already designed (per my website). Looking for someone who wants to build/sell/ship/support the control panel and possibly the extras as well. This person would set the price and ship/sell directly to keep costs as low as possible. Most customers would be in the USA so it should be someone USA based as that would result in the lowest cost (no cross border duties or issues, costs less to get parts in the first place).

The gist of it is that I don't have time to do it myself so I want to hand off building/selling to someone else who understands this stuff. Some customers may want changes too so the person would have to have a good working knowledge of brewing and electricity to be able to make suggestions/changes as required.

Just need to find the right (interested) partner with the right skills. While it still needs to be ironed out this person would set the price and run it on their own. It would be their responsibility, built under licence. I would do all the sales/marketing/etc on the site where people would come to click and buy and the site would earn a small commission.

I do this with another home theater related website and it works very well. The trick is choosing good products (in this case the product is a known quantity since it's mine!) and then finding responsible, detail oriented, and available people to build/sell/support the items.

Kal

Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #173
kjackbrown
Recipes 

Sounds good!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #174
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Hi guys!

Anyone know any US based brewers who are detailed oriented, have an electrical background, and are looking at making a few extra bucks?

I'm looking for a business partner in the US to help build our Electric Brewery setups to other passionate brewers! Likely starting with the control panel only.

At this time I're only considering someone from the US as it will greatly reduce the end cost as the shipping costs of both receiving parts to build and shipping out the final product(s) will be lower.

If anyone knows anyone, send'em my way! Cheers!

Kal
I wish I had time for that! Hope you find a good partner, Kal.

Cheers,
TB
1. Pils 2. Pils 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. IPA 3. IPA 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Dry Stout, Cali Common

Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #175
joety

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think I've got it figured out, but if anyone who bought the Auber timer vs the Omega timer can let me know how they've wired it, that'd be great. For now, I am following Kal on everything up to the timer connections. On the timer connections I will run the hot lead into the timer (#10), jumping the hot lead to the relay output (#8). I will then run a wire from the other side of the relay output (#7) to the alarm switch. Then I will run a neutral wire into the timer (#9), and jump to the buzzer and light. The reset button will be wired to #1 and #4 and I also installed a switch for pause, which will be wired to #2 and #4. Unlike Kal's setup, I am not jumping the neutral to the reset button. I think Kal needs to do this as the reset on the Omega timer needs current running through it to work. The Auber ASL-51 generates a small current off of both #1 and #2, so you can direct wire it to the common on #4.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 12-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #176
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm thinking that my post inspired you Kal. When you find your partner, I'll definitely be interested.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #177
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I've officially started ordering parts to build a replica of your control panel. Since I'm planning on building an electric boil kettle anyway, I figured why not go ahead and upgrade my control panel too! I'll be sure to post pics when its done, but I'm sure it will take me awhile.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #178
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfieldenator View Post
Well, I've officially started ordering parts to build a replica of your control panel. Since I'm planning on building an electric boil kettle anyway, I figured why not go ahead and upgrade my control panel too! I'll be sure to post pics when its done, but I'm sure it will take me awhile.
Excellent! Can't wait to see the pics!

Kal

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #179
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Hi guys!

Anyone know any US based brewers who are detailed oriented, have an electrical background, and are looking at making a few extra bucks?

I'm looking for a business partner in the US to help build our Electric Brewery setups to other passionate brewers! Likely starting with the control panel only.

At this time I're only considering someone from the US as it will greatly reduce the end cost as the shipping costs of both receiving parts to build and shipping out the final product(s) will be lower.

If anyone knows anyone, send'em my way! Cheers!

Kal
That would be nice. The panel is by far going to be the most challenging thing for me. I do have most the of the parts now to build your panel. I now need to order the switches and breakers and a few other parts. It's going to be a long project with a kitchen renovation in the works as well. Oh well....

Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #180
Sparky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Kal,
Good luck on the build project. As a benchmark, we bill out $110/hr in labor (San Francisco Bay area), but you could easily find $40/hr in the rest of the States.
How about getting an apprentice, do a practice build before you go bulk?

By far, the build WILL require the person to be meticulous and conscious. Good luck, it is hard to find. It took me 5 years to build a good team for our business.

Quick Reply