The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > How to build a control panel (part 1)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #101
HempelNet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

KAL, you sir are a brewer among men. Seriously though great write up as you have inspired me to go all electric with a control panel based off of yours. I have alot of reading to do to be on the safe side and even more sweet talking to do with the wife.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
: Primary#1 : N/A : Primary#2 : N/A
: Secondary#1 : N/A : Secondary#2 : N/A
: Bottled : Hand-outs ONLY
: Keg #1 : Apfelwein : Keg #2 : Belgian Wit
: Keg #3 : Gumball Head Clone : Keg #4 : Oatmeal Stout
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #102
Maltose
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kal, if you didn't want to use the amp or voltage meters, you could leave out the shunt, doorbell transformers and DC power supply right?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #103
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HempelNet View Post
KAL, you sir are a brewer among men. Seriously though great write up as you have inspired me to go all electric with a control panel based off of yours. I have alot of reading to do to be on the safe side and even more sweet talking to do with the wife.
Thanks! Hopefully your wife likes beer... that often works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltose View Post
Kal, if you didn't want to use the amp or voltage meters, you could leave out the shunt, doorbell transformers and DC power supply right?
Yup!

Kal

Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #104
Sparky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Electric Brewery feedback

Hi Kal,

First of all, great site you provided regarding the build. 200 hours to put together that site, my ass, it took you longer to do such an excellent job on the site! Okay, with that said, here is some feedback/questions:

Site feedback:
(1) Typo on Page 3 of Mash/Lauter Tun: "While and interesting concept we find that matching rates is very easy to do by hand using our two pumps."
Change to "an."

(2) SS Hopstopper link: It goes to "general" site. Update link to direct hopstopper part.

(3) Entire shopping list: Provide total parts list with quantities and links. EG - there are multiple sections with x-amount of male disconnects. It would be great to have a grand total.

Okay, hopefully you did not light your hair on fire and jump off a bridge! The site IS excellent.

Now, to the question portion:

(1) How do the cork matts hold up to the boil kettle? Do you use multiple cork matts under that kettle?

(2) Have you step-mashed using this system? How well does it perform?

(3) Have you run multiple batches? So, when you are boiling, you also have one going through the Mash cycle.

(4) Based on (3), if you are running multi-batches, wouldn't be better if you had two timers - one for the boiling and one for the mash? Link up the alarm/switches as appropriate.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #105
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Hi Kal,

First of all, great site you provided regarding the build. 200 hours to put together that site, my ass, it took you longer to do such an excellent job on the site!
That was for only the one control panel build article. I agree that the total is much, much higher.

Quote:
1) Typo on Page 3 of Mash/Lauter Tun: "While and interesting concept we find that matching rates is very easy to do by hand using our two pumps." Change to "an."]
Thanks! Fixed!

Quote:
(2) SS Hopstopper link: It goes to "general" site. Update link to direct hopstopper part.
Done on purpose. I sometimes purposely just go to the landing page of a site as otherwise I'll end up having to fix URLs for the rest of my life as stores change. In this case, as you said, I point to http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/ and I hope users can figure out how to find it there.

Quote:
(3) Entire shopping list: Provide total parts list with quantities and links. EG - there are multiple sections with x-amount of male disconnects. It would be great to have a grand total.
It's in the works. I'll have a master list parts page so that people don't have to go section by section. I'm working on the last few "build" articles and then that list will be published. Also working on an FAQ which (among other things) will provide some pricing breaking (the most common question that people email me about).

Quote:
(1) How do the cork matts hold up to the boil kettle? Do you use multiple cork matts under that kettle?
Just fine. No issues at all after 30+ brews. I happen to use 4 small pads but you can pretty much use any size here. Silicone cookie sheets may even work.

Quote:
(2) Have you step-mashed using this system? How well does it perform?
Not yet - it's on my todo list. I did do some timings in my last batch. I heated my strike water to 148F which was to be my actual mash temp. Mashed in and due to the colder grain, the temp of the mash dropped to 138F. Turned on the pumps and after exactly 9 minutes the temp had ramped from 138F to 148F. That's for a 12 gallon (post boil) batch. IMHO, that's pretty fast ramping.

Quote:
(3) Have you run multiple batches? So, when you are boiling, you also have one going through the Mash cycle.
Nope. Can't do that since my power source is only 30A which is only enough to run one element plus pumps/etc. This was a conscious design choice on my part. I never brew 2 batches back to back.

Quote:
(4) Based on (3), if you are running multi-batches, wouldn't be better if you had two timers - one for the boiling and one for the mash? Link up the alarm/switches as appropriate.
Probably would, but I dont run multi-batches. IMHO, I'd rather do 2 batches over 2 days anyway. But that's just me.

Kal

Old 12-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #106
MarkInOhio
Recipes 

Well, while we're critiquing Kal's amazing website, the one change I would like to see would be to have all the external links open in new windows. Right now, it seems to be a mixed bag where some do and others navigate away from his site right in the current window.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #107
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInOhio View Post
Well, while we're critiquing Kal's amazing website, the one change I would like to see would be to have all the external links open in new windows. Right now, it seems to be a mixed bag where some do and others navigate away from his site right in the current window.
Oops. I guess I wasn't very consistent with that. I'll start fixing it. Should take about an hour or so.

Kal

Old 12-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #108
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
I'm working on the last few "build" articles

Dear god man...how much more of my money are you going to me spend

But seriously though...keep the excellence coming
And I'll keep buying stuff to mirror it in my home...granted via a fun house mirror cause I don't know how you made the inside of your CP so damn nice.

Seriously...I'm just glad I don't have to open mine often

Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #109
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Oops. I guess I wasn't very consistent with that. I'll start fixing it. Should take about an hour or so.
An hour?? I must be nuts. 3.5 hours later and I'm still only 1/2 way done. Sheesh!

Kal

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #110
Gabrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey Kal,

Got a question for you:

I've just placed an order with McMaster Carr for pretty much everything you have used in your build (SS nut and silicon washer for RTDs, redot box enclosures, 3/4 NPT cord grips and such) and they've just sent me the following:

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr will only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Thank you,

David Ulam
McMaster-Carr Supply Co

Any tips for a fellow Canadian?

Quick Reply