Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Hoppo's E-Brewery Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #91
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Thanks guys! Finished up the tile last night and am going to move onto knotty pine to cover the wall surfaces on both sides of the brewing station. I also need to rip the cedar log and get it knifed to trim out the front and sides of the ventilation hood. More pics. to come.

I also put in a final big order with Bobby at Brew Hardware for the remaining stainless steel fittings, site glasses, high temp. tubing, 2 chugger pumps with ss heads, and some other odds and ends. Already had all of the 3 piece ball valves, HERMs coil, heating elements, etc. from prior purchases. My wife bought me a PICO false bottom for xmas, so I now will have everything that I need to finish my keggle conversions. Just need to find a vortex fan for the ventilation hood and bite the bullet on the control panel and I'll be set. Since my order was $700 with Bobby, I'll probably hold off on the control panel for a while until the sting of these purchases subsides a bit (especially for my wife). Should have enough parts now to keep me busy for a while.

P.S.....if anyone has experience with Arduino systems and can put something together for me to control this system that would be more cost effective than the $1500 for the control panel, please let me know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #92
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's the finished stone tile backsplash. I'll probably do all of the grouting at the end for the backsplash, component tops, and floor once I lay the tile on the floor. Should make for a hell of a miserable day! I love tiling, but I hate grouting.

img_3022.jpg   img_3026.jpg   img_3023.jpg   img_3028.jpg  

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #93
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

......and a few shots with the brewery put back together. I'm patiently awaiting my order from Bobby for the remaining stainless fittings, site glasses, chugger pumps, and accessories. My next major project probably should be the keggle conversions. I have also done a bit of research over the past few days for alternative methods to controlling the brewery. I love Kal's panel, one of the best I've seen by far, but not as cost effective as I would like. Not to mention, it would probably take me months to put the damn thing together. I simply couldn't justify spending another $725 on top of the $1420 to purchase it already assembled. There's no doubt that his pricing is not at all out of line for what you get, but it's an awful lot of money to spend on a hobby. I'm kind of liking the idea of the BCS by Embedded Control Concepts. I also checked out the Brewtroller, but it doesn't seem nearly as user friendly. I would love to control this thing with my IPad or any other networked device, as the BCS allows. I realize that there would still be some wiring involved to incorporate switches for temperature probes and output relays to control the pumps and elements, but it has to be much cheaper than a full blow, top of the line control panel.......right? Any feedback from those using this system would be greatly appreciated.

img_3030.jpg   img_3031.jpg   img_3032.jpg   img_3038.jpg  

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #94
MadGus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hoppo - You and I were on the same build/buy fence a few months ago. I'd really encourage you to build a control panel like mine... I still have to compile the final parts list and costs, but I would be surprised if I spent more than $800 on the CP (~$350 from Auberins, ~$350 from ebrewsupply, and ~$100 from home depot/radio shack for wires, fuses, connectors).

-Gus

Primary: Liberal Wheat 5.14
Secondary: Air
Bottle Conditioning: Gingerbread Stout 12.13
Kegged: IPA 3.14, Gluten Free Dos-Equis Clone 1.14
Commercial Tap: Legend Brown Ale
In Bottles: Hopslam, eSCB Holiday Ale 8.13

On Deck: Bourbon Cru 6.14

Gallons in 2014: 33

Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #95
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I gotta side with Gus here. With all of the hands-on effort you put into your work, the sense of pride you will have in having built it yourself is well worth the extra time... That and save some money.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #96
rangrr4834
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I am still building my Kal clone control panel but I have bought most of the parts already and I 100% agree with the previous two posters. I am having a great time building the CP and I have the build estimated at about $800 (I have paid out already for most of it but have some add on stuff still.)

BUILD IT!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #97
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok...ok...points well take. I have to be honest with you though, I feel like I'm in way over my head with building a control panel on my own. Hence my initial plan of to buy directly from Kal and follow his step by step instructions. I do have a neighbor that is an electrical engineer that could help me, but it's a lot to ask of him. I have recently had a couple of patients, who are system control engineers question why I would even want to go with an all out control panel when other computer controlled/modulated options are available at a fraction of the price.

Building a control panel certainly is a viable option, but I would also like to hear from those that have gone the Brewtroller or BCS control module. When I look at the BCS controller at $189 and switches and relays compatible with that system that are very cost effective, I can't help but think that I could do it for 1/3 of the cost of ordering from Kal. I may be completely naive and totally off base in my thinking, simply because I have a tremendous lack of knowledge in this department. That's why I am asking for people from both sides of the table to weigh in. I truly appreciate any and all input. My goal is to be efficient and cost effective, yet safe. This will be in my basement, so I certainly don't want to cut corners either.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #98
jEld
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Man, I should've jumped in on an order at Brewhardware with you! Converting a couple of kegs myself...everything is looking awesome, keep up the good work!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #99
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry man.....wish I would have known. Do you have your kegs already? Have you cut the tops out yet? If not let me know, because I built a jig and have an angle grinder to cut perfect 12" openings. I was taking inventory on all of my keggle conversion parts last night and came across the jig in the bottom of one of my keggles. Let me know and I can even cut them for you over a couple of beers, just need to get a few new cutting wheels and a flap wheel to clean up the edges.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #100
jEld
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll need to cut the lid off the two I got for Christmas. The jig would be awesome, I already have an angle grinder from harbor freight and appropriate discs from my first keg. Do you have a step bit yet? I'm just doing bulkheads and dip tube for my HLT and boil kettle for now, sight glasses and FB weren't in the budget this time around. I probably won't get to them until after the 16th, running the Disney marathon next week before a 5 year hiatus from that distance. Lets get together after then, and let me know if you need a brew assistant in that sanctuary.

Quick Reply