Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Hop Rehab E-Herms build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have no idea how the inner workings of the PID would be affected by having the output of two devices tied to one alarm and backfeeding voltage from the PID in alarm hitting the timer not in alarm. Probably no issue but again, I don't know. My thought was that each device will have its own alarm condition so why not have an alarm for each...

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: Southern Pecan

On Deck: Winter Spice Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Pid alarm should have 2 terminals for the NO relay so you can supply the appropriate voltage to one side and alarm output on the other side.

The estop becomes critical for industrial OSHA approved applications. In these applications the estop should kill high voltage power at the input to the panel.

For DIY homebrew, use whatever you want/need.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCOSbrew
Pid alarm should have 2 terminals for the NO relay so you can supply the appropriate voltage to one side and alarm output on the other side.
Thanks for the response. Im not sure I'm grasping your comment completely. My understanding is that pin 13 should be the power in and pins 1 and 14 should be jumped together and then go to the NO contactor/alarm. Are you recommending something different in my diagram?

Thanks,

Corey

Keg 1: The Electric S'more Stout
Keg 2: Sorachi Ace Clone
Keg 3: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Keg 4: Two-hearted Ale clone

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Lemongrass Wheat Kolsch

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
I have no idea how the inner workings of the PID would be affected by having the output of two devices tied to one alarm and backfeeding voltage from the PID in alarm hitting the timer not in alarm. Probably no issue but again, I don't know. My thought was that each device will have its own alarm condition so why not have an alarm for each...
Yea the backfeeding issue was part of my concern as well. The wiring I have is similar to how Kal has his alarms wired except he has each alarm wired to an individual switch, not both to the same switch like mine. Either way this should result in the same situation once two or more alarms are switched on at the same time (again backfeed would happen). I'm sure there must be times when he has more than one alarm switched on, no? But he doesn't specify on the alarm wiring page if only one alarm can be armed at a time.

Also, after re-reading his alarm wiring page, I think I need to set-up an alarm for my HLT after all. (ie strike temperature has been reached)

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/co...part-2?page=12

Thanks,

Corey

Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The alarm out is just a NO (Normally Open) Relay so there is no "backfeed", when multiple alarm conditions are occurring you have multiple hot wires connected to each other, they all have the same voltage.

The reason why Kal uses multiple alarm On/Off switches is so when the MLT hits the "alarm" temp threshold he can disable this alarm output. Otherwise you have to reprogram the PID to change the alarm condition or threshold to clear/stop the alarm condition. I am not familiar with the Auberins timer, it may have buttons on the front to easily reset/clear the alarm.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCOSbrew View Post
The alarm out is just a NO (Normally Open) Relay so there is no "backfeed", when multiple alarm conditions are occurring you have multiple hot wires connected to each other, they all have the same voltage.

The reason why Kal uses multiple alarm On/Off switches is so when the MLT hits the "alarm" temp threshold he can disable this alarm output. Otherwise you have to reprogram the PID to change the alarm condition or threshold to clear/stop the alarm condition. I am not familiar with the Auberins timer, it may have buttons on the front to easily reset/clear the alarm.
Thank you! That's what I needed to hear. I'd rather keep just one on/off switch to control all 3 alarm outputs. This will of course save some space on the panel face. Can you think of a situation that I will regret not having individually controlled switches for the 3 separate alarms?

Corey

Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Here is another updated wiring diagram with the 3rd alarm mode from the HLT added.

hop-rehab-wiring-diagram.jpg  

Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #18
mrwizard0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

The alarms wired together definitely won't be an issue, I have separate alarm switches but only so I can turn them off easier as previously mentioned. One option you could use is a 3 position switch so you have an off, an all on or just one alarm on. It would at least give you some options

Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
smittygouv30
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard0 View Post
The alarms wired together definitely won't be an issue, I have separate alarm switches but only so I can turn them off easier as previously mentioned. One option you could use is a 3 position switch so you have an off, an all on or just one alarm on. It would at least give you some options
Thanks for the confirmation on the alarm wiring. Interesting thought with the 3-way switch, maybe I could go with "timer on", "off", and "all on". I'll give it some thought.

Are there others who regret there current alarm set-up and wish they did things differently?

Corey

Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
mrwizard0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

I have a pause/reset toggle switch for my timer, I really like that to keep from playing with the small buttons on my timer. I used an on-off-momentary on switch to have it all in one.

Quick Reply