Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > hole punching for heating elements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
machfive55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I just punched two holes. I started with a step bit from harbor freight, I could have easily finished with this tool. It was going smoothly and quickly, and the hole was fairly clean. Anyhow, i used the step bit for the pilot hole then the greenlee tool (borrowed from work) to finish. Man, that is a slick tool, so easy and a perfect clean cut. My point is, I think the step bits work pretty well, even a cheap HF tool. I would go step bit if I didn't have access to the free tool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Dert
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo

I used a 1in trade size electrical punch for my elements. Do you not have a piece of something you can punch a hole in and test fit this thing? You're just making a hole dude. Make it too small and file if you have to. I don't understand the need for such precision?
Well said. Ever try and see if it works? I don't believe everything on the Internet...

Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #23
Facinerous
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I know I'm a little late to this thread and Warthog has probably already done the hole punching, but I just figured I would throw in my two cents just in case anyone else happens upon this thread with the same question.

I use knockouts and holesaws all the time for work, and what people need to watch out for when buying knockout sets is they are typically developed for the trades. Often when a knockout says 1" the actual outside diameter is 1 3/8". This is because the 1" knockout is based on the NPT or national pipe thread size, relating specifically to a 1" pipe which has a larger outside diameter than one inch.

You can find knockouts that are sized as what is written, you just have to pay attention to the packaging.

When drilling a round surface I would highly recommend using a hole saw. A punch will want to flatten out a spot in the pot, though I think it would be mostly superficial and not damaging in any way. Just run the drill in a an extremely low speed and stainless is a b**ch to drill due to the nature of the metal.

Either way everyone, have fun with the building.

We learn best from our failures, not our successes.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
warthog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yes, i am done punching holes. i actually finished my brew pots, and stand. now i'm on to finishing up the controller.

linky:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/my-long-awaited-build-question-421907/#post5366013

more beer for me

Quick Reply