Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > hole punching for heating elements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
warthog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default hole punching for heating elements

ok, so finally after too much time, i'm back to building my electric brewery. i'm using some scavenged controllers from work, and a big ass pump, also salvaged from work. i have 2 44 qt ss cajun kettles. i've got some 4500w ultra low watt density heating elements, and a greenlee punch borrowed from my uber-brewer neighbor. here's the deal though. the only punch he had is a 1.375" dia punch, and kal's instructions call for a 1.25" dia. has anyone tried to use a slightly larger punch? i don't want to go poking big holes in my pots, and have them leak. but at the same time the right size punch is going for $87! that's more than one of my pots, and i'm only planning on punching 4 holes. can i get away with this? anyone? or, is there another way? my neighbor is using keggles, that he drilled into with a step bit, but he's on propane, and only using 7/8" holes for his valves.

more beer for me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No, 1-3/8 is too big for sure. Your best bet is Ebay for a 1.25 punch or get a bimetal hole saw instead. If I'm going out to 1.25, it's sometimes easier to rough cut it to 1" with a hole saw, then finish out with a step bit but your drill has to be a torque happy SOB for that.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I did what Bobby was saying with the hole saw. My drill handled it fine enough, but yeah, it's a nice drill. Personally, I'd rather spend a hundred bucks on a nice drill than on a punch you'll use twice and be done with.

Just make sure you keep that hole saw bit as steady as possible, they like to dance!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
warthog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've actually got a big delta floor standing 3/4hp drill press, plus a boat-load of clamps. i actually just had the idea of cutting a form to fit the inside of the pot, as a back-up, and then just cutting really slow with lots of oil into the pot with a holesaw. the form behind should keep it from tearing too badly right? i work in wood, and soft metals, i don't really have experience with stainless.

more beer for me

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
wagz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just used the cheap step bits from harbor freight on my keggles,high pressures low speed and oil.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Dert
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Use your drill press with a hole saw...easy as pie. No need for extensive blocking and clamps. Just get a second set of hands to hold her in place.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
mdwilson
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I did exactly as you suggest. 1.25 hole saw in a drill press with a 2x4 as back up held in drill press vise and kettle clamped to the 2x4. It worked perfectly.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just used a big step bit and my really powerful hand drill with plenty of oil. Took about five minutes per hole.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
warthog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm going with the hole-saw. i've got a circle cutting jig for my band saw, so i'll carve out a backing block (it'll take 30min to glue up an cut), it'll give me better clamping on the drill press too, i like having a nicely secured part, when i'm standing right there.

i'll be starting a build thread soon. i'm horrible at taking pics of things in process. i promise to do better

more beer for me

Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
ComeOnNow
Recipes 

If there is a harbor freight near you, you can try their $20 metal knockout set. I used the 1 1/4 inch on my keggle and it worked just fine. Just need to make a hole for the bolt with a step bit.

Quick Reply