HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > hole punching for heating elements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
warthog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default hole punching for heating elements

ok, so finally after too much time, i'm back to building my electric brewery. i'm using some scavenged controllers from work, and a big ass pump, also salvaged from work. i have 2 44 qt ss cajun kettles. i've got some 4500w ultra low watt density heating elements, and a greenlee punch borrowed from my uber-brewer neighbor. here's the deal though. the only punch he had is a 1.375" dia punch, and kal's instructions call for a 1.25" dia. has anyone tried to use a slightly larger punch? i don't want to go poking big holes in my pots, and have them leak. but at the same time the right size punch is going for $87! that's more than one of my pots, and i'm only planning on punching 4 holes. can i get away with this? anyone? or, is there another way? my neighbor is using keggles, that he drilled into with a step bit, but he's on propane, and only using 7/8" holes for his valves.

more beer for me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1165 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 29

No, 1-3/8 is too big for sure. Your best bet is Ebay for a 1.25 punch or get a bimetal hole saw instead. If I'm going out to 1.25, it's sometimes easier to rough cut it to 1" with a hole saw, then finish out with a step bit but your drill has to be a torque happy SOB for that.

Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN! ULWD 5500w Ripple, 2000w, 1500w, etc
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I did what Bobby was saying with the hole saw. My drill handled it fine enough, but yeah, it's a nice drill. Personally, I'd rather spend a hundred bucks on a nice drill than on a punch you'll use twice and be done with.

Just make sure you keep that hole saw bit as steady as possible, they like to dance!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
warthog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've actually got a big delta floor standing 3/4hp drill press, plus a boat-load of clamps. i actually just had the idea of cutting a form to fit the inside of the pot, as a back-up, and then just cutting really slow with lots of oil into the pot with a holesaw. the form behind should keep it from tearing too badly right? i work in wood, and soft metals, i don't really have experience with stainless.

more beer for me

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
wagz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just used the cheap step bits from harbor freight on my keggles,high pressures low speed and oil.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Dert
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Use your drill press with a hole saw...easy as pie. No need for extensive blocking and clamps. Just get a second set of hands to hold her in place.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #7
mdwilson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I did exactly as you suggest. 1.25 hole saw in a drill press with a 2x4 as back up held in drill press vise and kettle clamped to the 2x4. It worked perfectly.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just used a big step bit and my really powerful hand drill with plenty of oil. Took about five minutes per hole.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
warthog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i'm going with the hole-saw. i've got a circle cutting jig for my band saw, so i'll carve out a backing block (it'll take 30min to glue up an cut), it'll give me better clamping on the drill press too, i like having a nicely secured part, when i'm standing right there.

i'll be starting a build thread soon. i'm horrible at taking pics of things in process. i promise to do better

more beer for me

Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
ComeOnNow
Recipes 

If there is a harbor freight near you, you can try their $20 metal knockout set. I used the 1 1/4 inch on my keggle and it worked just fine. Just need to make a hole for the bolt with a step bit.

Quick Reply