HLT agitator motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmill

Reaction score
Wanting to add an electric stir motor to my electric HLT Keg. Anyone have advice on what motor to buy? I have the stirrer, just don't know where to start. I have an all electric system with switched 120v plugs. Any advice would be appreciated . Thank

I would agree with swede, another pump might be the best option. User "Pol" has instructions and a part list for what he used as a "stirrer" in his 2 cooler e-herms set-up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-10-gallon-herms-pics-76773/index4.html

post #34 and #35 have the parts list. He ordered his parts from mcmaster-carr.

I decided to go with a cheaper second pump from greatbreweh.com over the stirrer. However, I ordered it 3+ weeks ago and still haven't received it AND they haven't responded to my e-mail. So, I'm not sure if this is good advice either. The pump they sell is about 50$ cheaper than a march or chugger and looks like it can do a damn good job. Just note the customer service from greatbreweh has been subpar for me as well as for others from what I have read.

I hope this helps,

Corey

Wanting to add an electric stir motor to my electric HLT Keg. Anyone have advice on what motor to buy? I have the stirrer, just don't know where to start. I have an all electric system with switched 120v plugs. Any advice would be appreciated . Thank
216.jpg

This is the motor:

120v motor - 63 RPM Rotation CCW, Torque 10 lb-in

The prop was designed and built to my needs.

P-J,

Are you sure you have the CCW (counter clockwise motor)? The business end of your stirrer looks like it's built for clockwise operation.

Paul

I just use a windshield wiper motor. it seems to have reasonable torque.

P-J,

Are you sure you have the CCW (counter clockwise motor)? The business end of your stirrer looks like it's built for clockwise operation.

Paul
Yes. It is a CCW motor.

Just a little interesting thing about electric motors: The direction of rotation is addressed from the wiring end of the motor looking at the shaft. In this case it is CCW. If it were wired from the rear end cover it would be labeled as a CW motor.

Just a little quirk about how stuff happens.

Some motors will specify CW or CCW with SE or LE afterwards meaning "Shaft end" or "Lead End". I've seen this many times on condenser fan motors as well as others, but maybe with gear-reduction motors, what P-J said is the standard? Interesting.....

Back