Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > HighGravity vs. Electric Brewery System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
ndak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HighGravity vs. Electric Brewery System

Looking to take the plunge into electric brewing and I am considering the systems from HighGravity and The Electric Brewery. I am not very handy so I am not looking to build myself. If $$$$ is not part of the equation, is one system better/easier to use than the other? Thank you for all your time.

Vince

Pittsburgh, PA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #2
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Haven't used either though my electric HLT uses some of the Electric Brewery's designs. If money was no object I'd go that route.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

agreed.

This is a massive simplification, but High Gravity essentially uses a 'dimmer' to scale their heat up and down. This forces you to raise and lower the heating element- fine tuning it over the course of the day. The electric brewery uses PID's which broadly speaking- are a set it and forget it system. That is, you dial in 152 and you should get 152.

If your goal is "boil", then which ever is cheaper is better. If your goal is fine temperature control of your mash, I wouldn't bother with HG. I'm sure guys will stand up and say there system works just fine, but the power of a working PID is the ability to establish consistent temperature every time.

I have a PID controled RIMS tube and I'm still working on it. I have some issues, but I'm all in. I love my gear (all built by me) and wouldn't brew without it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
ndak
Recipes 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and helping me understand all this.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
agreed.

This is a massive simplification, but High Gravity essentially uses a 'dimmer' to scale their heat up and down. This forces you to raise and lower the heating element- fine tuning it over the course of the day. The electric brewery uses PID's which broadly speaking- are a set it and forget it system. That is, you dial in 152 and you should get 152.

If your goal is "boil", then which ever is cheaper is better. If your goal is fine temperature control of your mash, I wouldn't bother with HG. I'm sure guys will stand up and say there system works just fine, but the power of a working PID is the ability to establish consistent temperature every time.

I have a PID controled RIMS tube and I'm still working on it. I have some issues, but I'm all in. I love my gear (all built by me) and wouldn't brew without it.
They have the EBC III out now that does acutally use a couple Auber PID's.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 412

Well, now they've got something! Not a bad price too ($799) IMO. I think that's going to be pretty popular.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
cowboynate2005
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With highgravity's system, you can use a separate temp control when you need to control temp

Quick Reply