The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > High Temp Sealants & Cooler Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
jdlev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default High Temp Sealants & Cooler Question

I was checking out youtube, and came across a guy who had a heat element coming up through the bottom of his igloo cooler. I'd like to add one to my sparge tank which is the same cooler. Anyone see any issues with this? Also, what do you use typically for sealing purposes? I assume some of it will touch the beer, so it has to be non-toxic. Is silicone the typical go to? Any particular type of silicon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Best to use a gasket or o-ring to seal...silicone sealant will work but does not reall adhere to the plastic cooler. I would either use a heatstick or go through the side of the cooler, IMO of course.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try to use a weldless fitting with a lock nut, washer, high-temp silicone o-ring, etc. Silicone sealant CAN adhere to plastic (make sure it's 100% silicone so that it's food-safe), and I originally used sealant on my MLT. But it's less than ideal, and could potentially start leaking at any time - I'd be particularly worried about it so close to the heating element.

Quick Reply