*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > High Gravity BIAB Electric Brewing System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My two cents again, for what it's worth. My typical brew day is about 3 - 3.5 hours long. 10 minutes to get everything out and set up, 10 minutes to bring to strike water, 60-90 minute mash (depending on recipe), 60 minute boil, 30 minute cool down (looking to reduce time with plate chiller), and 15 minute clean up and pack away.

Compared to my buddies who do typical 3 system AG brewing, they average 7 hours. Between setting up 3 kettles, the transferring, lautering, clean up, etc.

I don't know about you, but my time is money. I don't have to extra money to spend on additional equipment and storage, nor do I have the time to spend on long brew days! BIAB was a simple decision, which I have been doing for over a yr now. eBIAB was the most cost effective decision, which I've done numerous brews with now. A bigger initial investment, but pays off in the long run.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
My two cents again, for what it's worth. My typical brew day is about 3 - 3.5 hours long. 10 minutes to get everything out and set up, 10 minutes to bring to strike water, 60-90 minute mash (depending on recipe), 60 minute boil, 30 minute cool down (looking to reduce time with plate chiller), and 15 minute clean up and pack away.

Compared to my buddies who do typical 3 system AG brewing, they average 7 hours. Between setting up 3 kettles, the transferring, lautering, clean up, etc.

I don't know about you, but my time is money. I don't have to extra money to spend on additional equipment and storage, nor do I have the time to spend on long brew days! BIAB was a simple decision, which I have been doing for over a yr now. eBIAB was the most cost effective decision, which I've done numerous brews with now. A bigger initial investment, but pays off in the long run.
I appreciate the time savings also, using BIAB on propane. I also switched to no-chill, and have cut more time from the brew day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
Chris7687
Recipes 

jeffmeh - You just put your boiling wort into the plastic fermentors? The temp range says no high then 180* range on mine.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I stir for a whirlpool and let the temperature drop to 190F (the rating on the Winpaks I use). Then I drain into the Winpak. Works great. Dropping to 180F would be fine too, as that is still a high enough temperature to prevent any type of infection. E.g., the pasteurization time for milk at 161F is 15 seconds.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Chris7687
Recipes 

Nevermind, I just checked my carboys can not exceed 140*. So I have to cool. Do you pitch your yeast at those temps? I usually cool ot 90-100* and pitch at that temp. Haven't found any problems with it.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I pitch the next day when it has cooled down to recommended pitiching temperatures, which vary by the yeast and recipe. Incidentally, these are the vessels I use for no-chill, all the way through fermentation. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...nalinformation

Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #27
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My brewroom will be ready for setup by the middle or end of July, I'm ordering the High Gravity 82 quart model. The 220 volt 30 amp 4 wire GFI line is already run and I plan to add a sturdy winch overhead to lift out the heavy grains. The thought of getting splashed with hot wort keeps me up at night so I'm going to use two stainless steel angle iron pieces on top of the kettle to keep the perforated basket flatly seated as it drains.

I'm also tossing around the idea of using a new larger immersion chiller and a pre-chiller instead of a plate chiller too, someone scared me off of plate chillers some years ago because of infections they got in their beer, so even if unfounded the fear of blowing away an entire batch of beer using one has me worried.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 06-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #28
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Pleaase let us know how you like the ststem when you get it up and running

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 AM   #29
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I ended up ordering the High Gravity 62 quart BIAB system and it arrived the other day. There's a lot of parts that need to be assembled yet probably changing the orientation of the chugger pump's head will be the first thing I'll have to do. It's easy enough just remove the four screws holding the stainless steel head, give it a quarter turn and screw it down again. I'm copying the layout in the High Gravity Brewing video to get started and that's how they've done it.

I did get a nice 780 cfm range hood that has three speeds, a couple of bright led lights and carbon filters that I'll be using to exhaust the boil vapors from the garage. Once the hole's been cut in the wall and the hood mounted I'll have to figure out a way to setup a lift of some sort to hold the wet grains. Life would be easier if I mounted the lifting pulleys directly over the kettle and rigged the exhaust hood so it moved out of the way when lifting the grains.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
redwing_al
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewyBrewer View Post
Well I ended up ordering the High Gravity 62 quart BIAB system and it arrived the other day. There's a lot of parts that need to be assembled yet probably changing the orientation of the chugger pump's head will be the first thing I'll have to do. It's easy enough just remove the four screws holding the stainless steel head, give it a quarter turn and screw it down again. I'm copying the layout in the High Gravity Brewing video to get started and that's how they've done it.

I did get a nice 780 cfm range hood that has three speeds, a couple of bright led lights and carbon filters that I'll be using to exhaust the boil vapors from the garage. Once the hole's been cut in the wall and the hood mounted I'll have to figure out a way to setup a lift of some sort to hold the wet grains. Life would be easier if I mounted the lifting pulleys directly over the kettle and rigged the exhaust hood so it moved out of the way when lifting the grains.
I'd like to see pictures of your build out and hear how well your first brew day goes! I'm interested in builds something with an e-biab system of some sort. Do you have any opinions on the Speidel Braumesiter?

Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1: Golden Lawnmower Ale
Keg 2: Spiked Chocolate Cherry Stout
Keg 3: OFF
Keg 4: Al's Too-Harded IPA

Fermenting: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy V.2

Next Up: Brown Ale

Quick Reply