Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > High Gravety Brew EBC III

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
cswest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default High Gravety Brew EBC III

I don't know enough about e-brewing yet to know if this is a good deal or not but it sure looks nice.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/EBC-III-with-Infinite-Power-Control-158p3858.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 435

$799.00???

Wow. You could build your own with a lot more control capability for the same money or far less than that.

Just depends on what you want to do.

Just saying...

Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
cswest
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
$799.00???

Wow. You could build your own with a lot more control capability for the same money or far less than that.

Just depends on what you want to do.

Just saying...
I hear you, that's a lot of money, but I don't think I could wire up something myself.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 435

You sure could explore your adventure and then decide later on instead of blowing the cash on something you will discard later on.

Wiring up a rig is no big deal. It is a learning adventure.

With the rig you linked, you still have a bunch of stuff you will need to do. (mounting elements - setting up your power feed - Hmmm.. lots more...)

I'm only suggesting that you explore other possibilities so that you are happy with your final results.

Sorry for the intrusion..

Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

yeah, a friend of mine bought one of the EBC 2 units. I'm personally going the Auberins (Auber Instruments) + P-J diagram method for E-biab, which lots of people do, and it is less than a sixth of the price.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
cswest
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCornOrRice View Post
yeah, a friend of mine bought one of the EBC 2 units. I'm personally going the Auberins (Auber Instruments) + P-J diagram method for E-biab, which lots of people do, and it is less than a sixth of the price.
Yea the EBC 2 is more in line with my budget and to be honest I’m not really looking for all the bells and whistles. A way to control one element and my pump would be fine by me.

Thanks for the comments, I’ll take a look the Auberins + P-J diagram method but after making a couple of heat sticks I really don’t feel all that confident doing it myself.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Pardon me, I made an error. My friend has the EBC 2 Full HERMS package, not the standard EBC 2. So my pricing estimate applies to that only. The EBC 2 Standard edition appears to be about 2 times the price of my basic e-biab setup, although, the Auberins one I use is waaay more sophisticated.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
brewhokie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One other thing to keep in mind, High Gravity is building these unit themselves. Personally if I were going to buy a complete package like this I would want something UL approved, with stringent quality control standards. The person building these may be very qualified, but without third part certifications that tell me their ability I would be cautious. There have been threads about wires coming loose and such, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/anyone-using-high-gravitys-ebc-ii-control-286565/.

Regardless if you build the system yourself or buy one of these I would have someone with electrical knowledge look things over.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhokie View Post
One other thing to keep in mind, High Gravity is building these unit themselves. Personally if I were going to buy a complete package like this I would want something UL approved, with stringent quality control standards. The person building these may be very qualified, but without third part certifications that tell me their ability I would be cautious. There have been threads about wires coming loose and such, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/anyone-using-high-gravitys-ebc-ii-control-286565/.

Regardless if you build the system yourself or buy one of these I would have someone with electrical knowledge look things over.
I bet half of the $800 goes to an insurance company...

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
cswest
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So who can point me in the right direction to a complete, simple, safe and affordable panel that's detailed enough that someone with little to no electrical experience can put together?

Quick Reply