Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > HERMS coil in MLT while recirculating mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 297

http://realbeer.com/jjpalmer/ch14.html

Here is a quote under and pertaining to Table 5 in the above link: "Note: The above numbers were averaged from several sources and should be interpreted as typical optimum activity ranges. The enzymes will be active outside the indicated ranges but will be destroyed as the temperature increases above each range."

Since beta amylase is active from 130-150F I would expect them to denature fairly quickly at sparge temps, but alpha amylase with it's 155-167F range should fair rather better and quite a lot more of it should survive. Again, this is just conjecture as I haven't done any testing myself. I've my question for the next Brew Strong now!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setesh View Post
http://realbeer.com/jjpalmer/ch14.html

Here is a quote under and pertaining to Table 5 in the above link: "Note: The above numbers were averaged from several sources and should be interpreted as typical optimum activity ranges. The enzymes will be active outside the indicated ranges but will be destroyed as the temperature increases above each range."

Since beta amylase is active from 130-150F I would expect them to denature fairly quickly at sparge temps, but alpha amylase with it's 155-167F range should fair rather better and quite a lot more of it should survive. Again, this is just conjecture as I haven't done any testing myself. I've my question for the next Brew Strong now!
That actually answers my question, thank you.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Setesh

Recipes 

In Brew Strong Live Q and A 01-11-10 Palmer mentions to be careful when using a HERMS to measure the output of the coil to make sure you aren't denaturing you enzymes. Unfortunately he doesn't say what temperature to stay beneath, just to be careful not to go too high.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Setesh

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mcarthur View Post
Sorry to the OP, I feel like I am hijacking this thread from his original question, but I want to ask while I have some highly respected brewers weighing in.
No worries k_mcarthur, I'm very interested to know what Yooper and the other experienced brewers think on this as well. I have been reading like mad trying to figure out the ins/outs dos/don'ts of HERMS brewing before I build mine. I am a HERMS info sponge right now

Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setesh View Post
I'm sure it does make cleaning a lot easier. I am concerned because I am running a bayou burner right now and I don't think I can manage the HLT temps well enough to continue recirculating wort through the coil all the time. If the pump shuts off the wort in the coil could get hot enough to denature the enzymes. That seems like a bad idea, no?
Yup. I don't like the idea of controlling the pump. I like to recirc the mash 100% of the time and heat the HLT to the target temp and have the mash heat up. There's zero danger this way.

Easier on the pumps too. I don't really like the idea of the process controlling pumps. To me it makes more sense to recirc constantly to even out the temps than to control pumps.

The other benefit with constant recirc is that you're constantly vorlaufing resulting in a crystal clear sweet wort and your have much more consistent temperature throughout the mash.

The temp of the wort exiting my HERMS coil matches the temp of the HLT water so when I heat the limiting factor is how much heat/power I'm putting into the HLT water, not the recirc speed.

Quote:
I'm looking very seriously into buying one of your 50A 20Gal back to back kits Kal. That would solve the problem nicely! Are you planning on having any Christmas sales?
Nope. Possibly the opposite however (as pricing hasn't changed in ~2 years and parts keep going up in price).

You guys bring up a good point about denaturing by overheating the wort, and it has me thinking: What about a RIMs tube? Mash wort is usually recirculated through the RIMS tube and the wort is probably always overheated past the target mash temp. Wouldn't that be a problem with RIMs? I imagine most RIMs setups control the RIMS element by measuring the mash temp?

Kal
Flomaster Likes This 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good point about the rims tube, I've always wondered if you get kind of a caramelized tastes from using one. I know my issue with raising temps too slowly is caused by my decision to do a 120v set up, 220v upgrade already in the works.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Quick Reply