Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > HERMS Build Planning: DIN Rails or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
Brew52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not sure what you have planned for a control panel, but the specs you listed sound very much like mine. I am attaching the wiring diagram that P-J did for me. I plan to use DIN mount breakers and also use DIN mount terminal blocks instead of the terminal strips shown in the diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarian View Post
I've been seriously planning a HERMS setup (240v, 50a, 2 element, 2 pump) for the past three months or so, and have in the last month entered into a partnership with two local brewers/friends to collaborate on a 15 gallon setup.

In reading a lot of the threads here, I've come across several mentions of people wishing they had started off with a DIN rail setup and that they hope to transition to the same in a further iteration of their build. I come from an engineering background (Mining/Process,) and am fairly comfortable with the overall architecture, design and implementation of a traditional backplane install, but am completely unfamiliar with DIN rails.

Does anyone have a good source for a primer for understanding/transitioning to DIN rails? From what I've read, it would be a great option for us in terms of experimentation/adaption, but am having trouble finding source material to bring me up to speed on the cons and benefits of sourcing components for a DIN setup. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
auberin-wiring1-a11-rims-syl-2352-5500w.jpg  

NAUTICAL NONSENSE BREWING CO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #22
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
With a 240V 50A power feed, it is very important to have breakers within your control panel to limit the current within the associated circuits. In this situation, fuses are not a good idea. With a 240V system, each phase of the 240 should be 'broken' at the same time. A fuse would only open one of the phases.
Hope this helps.
I better get to work replacing every one of those 2pole fused safety switches I've ever installed then.....

Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #23
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
I better get to work replacing every one of those 2pole fused safety switches I've ever installed then.....
??
It's your life that you are betting. Or - If the build was for someone else? Their life when "Stuff Happens".

I appreciate your sarcasm...

Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
??
It's your life that you are betting. Or - If the build was for someone else? Their life when "Stuff Happens".

I appreciate your sarcasm...
Man, if someone is rootin' around in a panel with a tripped breaker or blown fuse they're betting their own life if they don't know what they're doing. There is no added safety with a breaker. If there are faults on both legs, both fuses will be blown.

Whatever, do it your way...I'm done...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
psbuckland
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's some of myBrewtroller components mounted on 1/4" acrylic and universal din rail mounts. Hope this helps in ur build.

Shane

image-392327565.jpg   image-2269166213.jpg  

Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
sicabeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love DIN rails. I have everything except my contactors mounted on them. I have my BCS kind of ghetto wire tied to some of the clips instead of mounting them.
ebrewsupply is really a great place to go look.

Quick Reply