The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > HERMS with 2 elements at same time or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #21
summerofgeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, it's an alien panel. Apparently it didn't take too long to get discontinued. And the 50-60A breakers are super expensive now at $300+. The smaller ones and larger main breakers are all more reasonable.

My 100A subpanel is in my basement. It has 3 20A breakers and a 50A breaker that's not wired. Is it possible to run a second subpanels from the one 100A breaker? As long as I don't add anything else to the basement, I shouldn't come close to tripping the breaker.

It would probably be easiest to just have an electrician come out and tell me how much it will cost for various options. We're looking to do a few other electrical things so whenever SWMBO decides what she wants, we'll get someone out here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #22
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'd go to Home Depot and grab a new 200a load center and never look back. What in the hell is that thing? Wait, I know what that is. Well, what in the hell IS that thing?

No? No one remembers that old Steve Martin bit from SNL?
I think I'd just use the 30A breaker and run one element at a time before upgrading the entire panel. Might depend on what an electrician has to say after seeing it. And sorry, the Steve Martin reference is lost on me!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #23
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerofgeorge
My 100A subpanel is in my basement. It has 3 20A breakers and a 50A breaker that's not wired. Is it possible to run a second subpanels from the one 100A breaker? As long as I don't add anything else to the basement, I shouldn't come close to tripping the breaker.
This sounds like the best option to me. You have plenty of capacity on that 100A breaker to run your brewery. I would put at least a 20 circuit 100A loadcenter in the garage and have it share the breaker with the basement feeder or feed the basement panel from it. This would be much easier if your main panel was not recessed but it is still doable.

**edit** That 50A breaker in the basement isn't of the alien variety by chance?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is kind of a cool looking panel, but I have never seen one before. Is your subpanel the same type? If so, I would probably consider just ripping it out and putting a standard panel in. I would recommend doing that to both in a long term situation. From the sound of it, you might be able to make back your money pretty quick selling off the parts to that thing.

Primary: 10g English Mild, 10g Robust Porter, 10g Skeeter Pee
Keg: Black Cherry Apfelwein, 10g AHS Low Carb Ale, 10g Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale, Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I find that a pint of my own semen makes the best starters.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #25
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
This sounds like the best option to me. You have plenty of capacity on that 100A breaker to run your brewery. I would put at least a 20 circuit 100A loadcenter in the garage and have it share the breaker with the basement feeder or feed the basement panel from it. This would be much easier if your main panel was not recessed but it is still doable.
So I could go from 100A breaker in main --> 100A loadcenter in garage --> 100A basement panel...or 100A breaker in main --> split to 100A loadcenter in garage AND 100A basement panel?

If the second is an option, could I just split the 100A and go to the basement panel AND directly to a spa panel? I'm not sure why I'd need the 100A in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
**edit** That 50A breaker in the basement isn't of the alien variety by chance?
Haha - no such luck. I was hoping that from the beginning. It's Square D but a different type.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKellers View Post
That is kind of a cool looking panel, but I have never seen one before. Is your subpanel the same type? If so, I would probably consider just ripping it out and putting a standard panel in. I would recommend doing that to both in a long term situation. From the sound of it, you might be able to make back your money pretty quick selling off the parts to that thing.
The subpanel is Square D but a different type. Replacing it and selling off the parts may be an idea...it might take a while to find some buyers since it doesn't appear that the panel was that popular. I'm trying to avoid replacing the whole thing but if I want any flexibility, it's looking more and more like a decent option.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #27
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

So I could go from 100A breaker in main --> 100A loadcenter in garage --> 100A basement panel...or 100A breaker in main --> split to 100A loadcenter in garage AND 100A basement panel?

If the second is an option, could I just split the 100A and go to the basement panel AND directly to a spa panel? I'm not sure why I'd need the 100A in the garage.
Yes. Either would work. The second would require some special lugs that I am not sure exist but probably do.

I would go with 100A panel in the garage because it is the most common/cheapest panel and you will never have this problem again.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you could find a buyer for your old stuff, you may make money on this deal...good idea!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #29
Rondacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

Is this 50 amp breaker removable?
You mentioned square d but a different style. What is the number of the panel?
Could you replace the 50 with one that suits the plan?

Ein Bier, Bitte!

On Deck= Witt
Brewing=
Primary= Ed Wort's Apple Wine,
Secondary= Air
Bottled= Lots of Beer
Drinking= 2013 Maple Sap Ale, Columb-MO SMaSH IPA, Brando O's Graff.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #30
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondacker View Post
Is this 50 amp breaker removable?
You mentioned square d but a different style. What is the number of the panel?
Could you replace the 50 with one that suits the plan?
The 50 amp breaker in the basement is removable but if I want to use a breaker in subpanel, I'd have to run the wires back up to the garage from there.

I had an electrician out today and he said the best option (other than getting a 50A breaker for my main panel) would be to install a 100A load center next to the main panel and then run both the subpanel and spa panels off this.

He quoted me $700 to install the 100A panel, rewire the 100A sub to it, and install a 50A spa panel with an outlet. This includes all parts and labor (except we would be using the 50A breaker from my subpanel for the spa panel). I have no idea how much electricians run...does this seem reasonable?

Quick Reply