Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > HERMS with 2 elements at same time or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
zeus53219
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

If I did it over again, I'd go with the ability to run 2 elements at once.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
summerofgeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleIL View Post
I am of the opinion that if you can get 2 elements, get 2 elements. The only difficult part is sourcing all the 60A stuff you will need (and keeping it cheap enough). The extra cost of running 2 elements isn't prohibitive though, and I think in the long run will be worth it (high gravity dual boil, back to back batches, cleaning water).
I can do either setup and don't mind putting a little extra money in it if it's worth it. The main reason this is even a debate is due to the location of the brewing relative to the circuit breakers. My main panel is in the garage, where conveniently I do my brewing. I have an open 30A breaker. It would be pretty easy to wire up a spa panel to this. (I looked into sourcing a 50A breaker for my panel but it's $$$ - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/squ...reaker-307166/).

The other option is that I have a 100A subpanel in my basement with a free 50A breaker. I could run wire from this to the garage and into a spa panel if I wanted to go this route. I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerofgeorge

I can do either setup and don't mind putting a little extra money in it if it's worth it. The main reason this is even a debate is due to the location of the brewing relative to the circuit breakers. My main panel is in the garage, where conveniently I do my brewing. I have an open 30A breaker. It would be pretty easy to wire up a spa panel to this. (I looked into sourcing a 50A breaker for my panel but it's $$$ - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/squ...reaker-307166/).

The other option is that I have a 100A subpanel in my basement with a free 50A breaker. I could run wire from this to the garage and into a spa panel if I wanted to go this route. I wasn't sure if it was worth the effort.
I saw your thread about the breaker. Thats a bummer. Depending how far you would need to run from the basement, it may end up cheaper to find a breaker or change out your panel.

Are you sure there are no free feed through lugs in your main. You could possibly get by with a tap.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
moparx12
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
do you have a dedicated 100A service solely for your brew setup??
200A service to the house. no sub-panel.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
SirJoshuaIV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
do you have a dedicated 100A service solely for your brew setup??
At my current location I will actually only be able to feed 50-60amps into my brew set up.

My MT and HLT controls will be inside one control box that will be fed off a 50-60amp spa panel. The BK will have it's own control box, powered off this same spa panel. I will only be running one control box at a time on this current set up. Mash then switch to the Boil.

However, I will be changing locations in the future, just not sure as to when I will be doing this. So I am designing a system that will work for the new location, and the current location. The new location will have more than enough dedicated power to the brew station, (2) 60 or 50 amp spa panels. What are your thoughts, should I go 50amp or 60?

Also, do you feel it would be best to use contactor coils after the SSR for each of the elements? The only added benefit I see is that of safety. However, couldn't I just throw in DPST switches? I'm sure this has been debated, but I figure i'll ask.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #16
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Are you sure there are no free feed through lugs in your main. You could possibly get by with a tap.
Can you explain this a little more for the electrically challenged? I took the cover off my panel but wasn't sure what I was looking for.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Some panels have tap lugs to feed a sub panel. I am not familiar with the main panel you have. If there are lugs, you can connect direct off the bus and then feed a spa panel. If you could post a picture I could tell you if that is an option.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #18
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, got some pics. Hopefully they're useful...The main breaker is 200A and the subpanel is 100A. I'm not sure what you're looking for so let me know if you need help following any of the wires. I really appreciate your help (and patience).

img_1694.jpg   img_1692.jpg   img_1702.jpg  

Old 03-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #19
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have been a contractor for 17 years now and I have never run across one of these panels. I looks alien or maybe european Unfortunately, I do not see any tap lugs. It sucks to have all that power where you need it but breakers cost a fortune. I would keep my eyes peeled for an ebay steal on a breaker.

The only other option I can think of is: if the 100A sub feed is not very loaded, you could use that breaker to feed a subpanel in the garage which could then feed your spa panel and the existing subpanel. That may cost more to get done than the breaker for your alien panel though.

If you can get a free estimate, have a contractor look at it and give you the best option. Sorry I could not give better news.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd go to Home Depot and grab a new 200a load center and never look back. What in the hell is that thing? Wait, I know what that is. Well, what in the hell IS that thing?

No? No one remembers that old Steve Martin bit from SNL?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply