Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Help! SPA Panel trips when plugged in

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Bear419
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Help! SPA Panel trips when plugged in

I have a simple eaton spa panel with a 240 50A GFCI breaker. As soon as I plug it in or flip the main breaker it trips. I followed one of P-J's spa panel diagrams and have it wired like this:

I did check for shorts with my multi-meter, and there were no faults between the neutral and ground and the hots. I did notice a slight buzzing when I touched the two hots on the output end of the breaker. Is that normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can you take a pic of your wiring inside the gfci panel? I am thinking you have the ground and neutral wire tied together after the gfci? If you do that is probably why it is tripping.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Bear419
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Pic of the Panel

Here is a pic. The green wire is actually the neutral coming from a 3 wire range outlet. I run a wire from the neutral bus to the ground bus, and also have the neutral wire from the breaker join the neutral bus. The breaker trips even when I don't have anything wired to the breaker outputs.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see the black wire from the ground to neutral. Although this is OK because you only have 3 wires coming in and electricity is color blind this wire should be white, green or have no insulation to prevent confusion later.

Also, the spliced green & black wire is dangerous - the connection may be good now but if that splice were to open up you will have a floating ground & have a voltage on everything metal that could shock you.

The white wire running from one of the breaker out terminals to the neutral bus is probably what's tripping your breaker.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Bear419
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post

The white wire running from one of the breaker out terminals to the neutral bus is probably what's tripping your breaker.
Thanks. I will take care to clean up the wiring.

As for the white wire going to the neutral bus. This is the wire that came pre-installed on the breaker.

According to this P-J diagram I thought it needed to be attached to the neutral bus. Is this not the case?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Bear419
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Bad breaker?

With the breaker unwired and in the off position to took an ohm reading of the two hot outputs and got a resistance reading less than infinte. That doesn't make sense to me. Is this a sign of a bad breaker?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Bear419
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Resolved!

It was a bad breaker. I left the wiring as is and swapped out breakers and it works as intended. From my meter readings there seems like there was an internal short in the breaker.

Quick Reply