Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Help! New EBK burning elements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Arazcamaro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Question Help! New EBK burning elements

I just burnt both of my electric BK elements and need help figuring out what happened.

I just built a 8 gallon electric BK using two 1500 watt elements from Home Depot. I bought 14 gauge wire for each element that runs a receptacle that I fashioned onto a length of 10/3 wire that I already had (didn't use the red wire).

I installed a 30 amp / 125 volt plug on the 10/3 and plugged it in to a 30 amp outlet on the side of my house for RV hook-up. The kettle worked great for about a hour and then the top element burnt out (melted). I had a spare and put it in and within an hour it burned out along with the bottom element.

The outlet is working fine and I have no idea why these things are melting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I am taking a wild guess that the 30 amp outlet on the side of your house is 240 vac. You could check it by looking at the breaker in your load center or by using a multimeter on the outlet. Please check this out before plugging anything into this outlet. Be careful.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Arazcamaro
Recipes 

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. The 30 Amp plug is list as 110v but it is a double pole 30 amp breaker so I don't know if that makes a difference. The outlet is for a travel trailer and the plug I bought matches. I installed a standard (non GFCI) outlet on the end of the run and plug each element into the outlet separately.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Double pole breakers are circuit breakers used to deliver power to 240-volt circuits while preventing electrical hazards. They are required for many household devices and appliances, and deliver twice the power of a single pole breaker.

Read more: What Is a Double Pole Breaker? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5569297_double-pole-breaker.html#ixzz1DCAoHA5b

Old 02-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

How long did they last? Yeah it sounds like you are delivering 30amps at 240volts to them.

Edit: I see they lasted about 1 hour. When you say they melted that sounds crazy. Any pictures of them melted would be cool?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
NattyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, crazy to see how those thing melted on you like that! And if you have a double pole breaker in your box then it most definitely is supplying 240V to whatever outlet you were plugged into. The double breakers pick up both the Hot A and Hot B lines running into your home to provide both phases of 120V to get you to that 240V number.

Sounds like you are way over-powering these small elements and is the root of your issue here.

"Over-complicating my brew day, one gadget at a time..."

Check out the complete build of my Electric Brewery!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
RukusDM
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazcamaro View Post
I just burnt both of my electric BK elements and need help figuring out what happened.

I just built a 8 gallon electric BK using two 1500 watt elements from Home Depot. I bought 14 gauge wire for each element that runs a receptacle that I fashioned onto a length of 10/3 wire that I already had (didn't use the red wire).

I installed a 30 amp / 125 volt plug on the 10/3 and plugged it in to a 30 amp outlet on the side of my house for RV hook-up. The kettle worked great for about a hour and then the top element burnt out (melted). I had a spare and put it in and within an hour it burned out along with the bottom element.

The outlet is working fine and I have no idea why these things are melting.

Just a WAG at this but it sure looks like you have 240V going to those heaters. If they are 120v heaters there is no way they could burn up like that if they are designed for 120 and your providing 120. The resistance of the heaters wouldn't allow the current to get high enough to destroy them (designed for 120).

If you hit them with 240V, you double their output and they pull current they are not designed for. 120V heaters are ROUGHLY 1/2 the resistance of a 240V heater.

Edit: You could burn up the heaters if you are providing them with 120 if they are not submerged.

Primary's:
#1 - 5 Gallons Harp Clone All Grain with Wyeast 2007 Lager (~5.5% ABV)

Secondary's:
#1 - 6 Gallons Dry Irish Stout Partial (~4.0 ABV)
#2 - 6 Gallons Brown Sugar Ale All Grain with Nottingham Yeast (~5.0% to 5.2%)

Kegged:
6 Gallons Honey Ale AG

Next:
6 Gallons Brown Sugar Lager

Old 02-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
RukusDM
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You can do one of 2 things to fix this. Get your wiring sorted out and provide 120V to the heaters.

Or wire the 2 heaters in series and power with your existing circuit. You will double the resistance with it wired in series and the current flow will be then limited to 120V normal amperage a piece.

I would opt for the 120V solution. If you blow a heater with them wired in series, then the good heater will not work either.

Primary's:

Secondary's:

Kegged:
6 Gallons Honey Ale AG

Next:

Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
RukusDM
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazcamaro View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear on that. The 30 Amp plug is list as 110v but it is a double pole 30 amp breaker so I don't know if that makes a difference. The outlet is for a travel trailer and the plug I bought matches. I installed a standard (non GFCI) outlet on the end of the run and plug each element into the outlet separately.
I missed the double pole statement. Sounds like you have 240v.

Primary's:

Secondary's:

Kegged:
6 Gallons Honey Ale AG

Next:

Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If it were me, I'd sell/scrap the pot and start over with a single 220v element. 8 gallon pots can be had for cheap (Al or SS is fine), or you may decide to go bigger. You have 220, why not use it? Just make sure your wiring up to the element is rated for 30A; the 10/3 should be fine.

Quick Reply