Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Help me decide? Portable RIMS/HERMS or?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
mavrick1903
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Help me decide? Portable RIMS/HERMS or?

I've got a 5 gallon SS pot, and a Sanke Keg (15.5 gal) I've got reasonably easy access to legit Sanke Keg if that's the way to go. I'd like to build a system that's:
A: Electric
B: Portable
C: under 30amps

I'd like to run on a single 240 30a outlet, This leaves me with a 1500 element for RIMS and a 5000 element for the BK, with enough left over to run a single March pump, and a PID or two.

What would you build? would you add a IGLOO Mash Tun? I can lay my hands on a second Sanke keg without too much trouble if that's the best route

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I decided not to go with RIMS or HERMS on my system (still in construction), because I have a cooler mlt, and its really not necessary. If you do want some method to keep your mash at temp, and you are trying to stay under budget on power, I would go with HERMS, because no only are you holding your mash temp, but you are also heating sparge water.

If I were you I would acquire a second sanke for HLT and BK and build a MLT out of a cooler.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
eric_pwb
Recipes 

My new rig is under construction, all my parts are on order already. I am building a system with similar goals in mind, portable all electric, and easily powered. Mine will be run from a range plug, 40A 240V.

I decided to go with a RIMS system, using a 50qt coleman extreme cooler, and a converted sanke. I also plan on trying to fly sparge with the RIMS acting as a inline instant water heater... I will have a 4500w element in both the keg and the RIMS.

I went with the rims and the large element to eliminate the HLT completely, to make it easy to transport and take less space to store.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You will probably want to run that 4500w RIMS element at 120v when you are actually recirculating your mash, otherwise you will risk scorching the wort.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick1903 View Post
I've got a 5 gallon SS pot, and a Sanke Keg (15.5 gal) I've got reasonably easy access to legit Sanke Keg if that's the way to go. I'd like to build a system that's:
A: Electric
B: Portable
C: under 30amps

I'd like to run on a single 240 30a outlet, This leaves me with a 1500 element for RIMS and a 5000 element for the BK, with enough left over to run a single March pump, and a PID or two.

What would you build? would you add a IGLOO Mash Tun? I can lay my hands on a second Sanke keg without too much trouble if that's the best route
My $0.02...

HERMS only requires a single element/PID/probe/SSR for a 100% electric system. You use the e-kettle and coil for the mash recirculation, then use the e-kettle again for boiling, and the coil again for chilling.

No single-use equipment like the RIMS tube. Lower cost, too.

edit: with an insulated cooler for a mash tun, the benefits of HERMS or RIMS are diminshed. Those systems are a means of maintaining mash temps, which the cooler MLTs do pretty damn well on their own. I would suggest moving to a stainless MLT if you have access to the keg and are going to build a HERMS or RIMS.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
eric_pwb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
My $0.02...

HERMS only requires a single element/PID/probe/SSR for a 100% electric system. You use the e-kettle and coil for the mash recirculation, then use the e-kettle again for boiling, and the coil again for chilling.

No single-use equipment like the RIMS tube. Lower cost, too.

edit: with an insulated cooler for a mash tun, the benefits of HERMS or RIMS are diminshed. Those systems are a means of maintaining mash temps, which the cooler MLTs do pretty damn well on their own. I would suggest moving to a stainless MLT if you have access to the keg and are going to build a HERMS or RIMS.
The plan is to eventually move to another converted keg for a mash tun. I did originally plan on building a herms system, but I believe that the rims setup gives me more flexibility. For example with the two vessel herms you described it would be impossible to fly sparge. Where as with my rims I can use the tube to heat the fly sparge water on demand, OR I can use my kettle to heat water for a batch sparge. Just my $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You will probably want to run that 4500w RIMS element at 120v when you are actually recirculating your mash, otherwise you will risk scorching the wort.
That was the original plan, but after doing some reading I found a couple of people who were successful running at 240v with high powered elements (4500w, 5500w) during mashing, by limiting the pulse length and cycle time of the element. So I plan to test that method first, but if not a spdt relay will be a cheap addition to allow for 120/240v switching.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most PIDs don't have options for pulse duration/cycle time unless they are in manual mode. The BCS was how guys like Sizz accomplished this. Anyone know of a PID that runs in both modes?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_pwb View Post
The plan is to eventually move to another converted keg for a mash tun.
I was actually talking to the OP with my comment, but you do have a good point about the fly sparging thing.

In the spirit of K.I.S.S. and portable, I was picturing single tier and single pump, which makes fly sparging impossible.

edit:... unless you are able to do instant hot water heating for sparging with the RIMS. If that works out (I think some folks have done it succesfully on here) then the RIMS dioes give you that option.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
eric_pwb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most PIDs don't have options for pulse duration/cycle time unless they are in manual mode. The BCS was how guys like Sizz accomplished this. Anyone know of a PID that runs in both modes?
AFIK you are correct, I forgot to mention that I will be using a brewtroller, I haven't looked in depth at the code, but I plan on modifying it to suit my purposes. But without a bcs or brewtroller a person could use this setup with a spdt switch to be able to switch from 240v to 120v at will

Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
mavrick1903
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I was actually talking to the OP with my comment, but you do have a good point about the fly sparging thing.

In the spirit of K.I.S.S. and portable, I was picturing single tier and single pump, which makes fly sparging impossible.

edit:... unless you are able to do instant hot water heating for sparging with the RIMS. If that works out (I think some folks have done it succesfully on here) then the RIMS dioes give you that option.
So, would I be able to fly sparge (fly sparge is a recirc sparge, no?) using a HERMS kettle as the BK? I guess what I'm wondering, is can I do fly sparging with a single pump (add one tier) and using ONLY TWO Sanke kegs, and a pump? Would one keg then be with the element, and coil, the other with in/out ports and that's all? Should I be monitoring temp on both kegs?

If there are good links that show what you feel as good examples, please feel free. I'm going mental trying to decipher all the info that's out there, and come up with a plan...

Quick Reply