Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Heatsticks vs mounting element in keggle...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #31
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
It's not the ground causing you problems. The ground wire is litterally not connected to anything in a properly built system. You can bang on it with a hammer, piss on it, call it names, whatever you want, and it will never cause your GFI to pop.

The only reason the GFI would pop is because something is allowing current to escape from the hot-line of your power source. When the GFI sees that there is more current on the hot line than there is on the neutral line, it will kill the juice.
I pulled the encapsulated element from that stick, and tried it in a pan of water, with the ground attached to the pan. It works fine, no trips. The hot and neutral connections are fully potted in JB weld.

I'm going to try mounting it in the keggle. If it trips the GFCI, I can just unscrew it and replace it....if I ever get the $&@#*&#$%@ holes drilled...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #32
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Use a drill with a gear box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Daaaaang, elements require a BIG hole. I drilled until my arms got tired, and the hole is still a little too small.

I still have one more hole in my HLT, then I can start on the boil keggle.
I was right where you were about a week ago, except my corded 1/2" drill was smoking while I was trying to widen one hole, with still another to go. I was blaming my drill bits, etc.

What I learned was that I needed to use my cordless drill with a gear box. I dialed it down to first gear (has 1 and 2). This gave it the right power with the right speed. A little oil and really it never even got hot.

Honestly, took five minutes after that.

Here's a shot of the drill I used: IGNORE THE ARROW. IT'S THE 1 AND 2 SELECTOR SWITCH YOU WANT TO BE SURE TO PUT ON 1!

IGNORE THE ARROW. IT'S THE 1 AND 2 SELECTOR SWITCH YOU WANT TO BE SURE TO PUT ON 1!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 AM   #33
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I originally used heatsticks, but then mounted them. I'm real happy with 2x 2000w elements for 6 gal batches. Don't think I'd do it any other way. Don't need a pid, don't need a ssr. Turn them both on, or 1 at a time. Easy peasy.

image-331816530.jpg   image-2137657075.jpg  

Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #34
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknapp View Post
I originally used heatsticks, but then mounted them. I'm real happy with 2x 2000w elements for 6 gal batches. Don't think I'd do it any other way. Don't need a pid, don't need a ssr. Turn them both on, or 1 at a time. Easy peasy.
Interesting how you positioned the elements. I'm thinking of placing them closer together. Once I get the first hole big enough, I'll screw the element in temporarily to see how to place the other.

My elements will be on the back of the keggle, my switched outlets are on the back of my stand, so the cords are out of the way.

Front:

Close Up Front:

Back:

Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #35
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Is it safe to rest a copper immersion chiller on an element or do you need a false bottom to take the weight?

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #36
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock View Post
Is it safe to rest a copper immersion chiller on an element or do you need a false bottom to take the weight?
Mine rests on the element and I haven't had any issues, but it probably helps that (due to the way my coil is shaped), the bulk of the force is applied to the base of the element where it is most stable.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #37
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Forgot to add...

if you make the top parts of the coil "J" shaped, you can hang it on the rim of the kettle for support instead of letting the weight fully rest on the element.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #38
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock View Post
When you think about it, you only have the weight of the copper to worry about. It's not really that much weight.

This hasn't been an issue for me yet. I use heatsticks and removed them before using my IC. Now, I have a plate chiller, am mounting the elements in my HLT and BK, and am thinking of converting my IC coil to a HERMS coil. So, I might have to play around with this.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #39
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I rest a 50' 1/2" copper chiller on my element, and it's mounted with a weldless fitting.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #40
KaceMN
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

For those of you who've installed heating element(s) directly through the sides of your keggles/pots...how does this effect whirlpooling functionality?? Does the increased turbulence throw the whirlpool efficiency? If whirlpooling is effected...are there methods to account for this?

Quick Reply