I bought all the stuff for a 1500w 120v heatstick today. My original plan was to buy an extension cord and cut the female end off--but the 12 gauge wire ones were too damn expensive. The Home Depot guy recommended Romex SIMpull type NM-B 12/2 indoor wire. I bought 15 feet of the stuff not knowing how stiff it is. I am not pleased.
Can I make a shorter cord (maybe 1 to 1.5 feet) that hangs off the end of the heatstick, and then use it with an extension cord? I will connect the extension cord to a GFCI outlet.
Other than making electromagnets in grade school, wiring a bunch of lights, and replacing a few light switches, I know nothing about electricity.
I'm sealing it similarly to Gritsaks method. I have built a boat, so at least Im comfortable with epoxy and silicone. It might not heat up, but at least it will be watertight!
Thanks for any help/advice!