*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Heating elements and immersion chillers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Heating elements and immersion chillers

I just put an element in my keggle to be like all the other cool kids. But now I realized that I wont' be able to use my immersion chiller anymore, at least not without half of it from sticking up out of the wort, and possibly breaking my heating element. I'm starting to think I should have gone with a heat-stick after all. What does everyone else do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
LKHA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

first of all how high did you mount your element(pics). and just use as before just wont be as quick

I have seem some TERRIBLE advice on here in the past few months. I may even be guilty of bad advice myself.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
BetterSense
Recipes 

I mounted it as low as possible in my keggle. However a 5 gallon batch does not come up very high in a keggle and my chiller is only going to go into the wort maybe halfway. This is kind of bumming me out right now since I really like my chiller.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
tyfernandez
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Not sure what your chiller looks like, but is it possible to create a gap in the chiller that the element could fit through?

I use a chiller similar to this one.

I simply angle the chiller when I'm putting it in my kettle so that the bottom must rung slides underneath the element and on to the bottom of the kettle, with the rest of the chiller being above the element.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
BetterSense
Recipes 

Hm. I may be able to separate my chiller coils enough to do that. Otherwise, I guess I could mount the element directly into the bottom of my keggle, sticking straight up. Then it would fit through the center of the coils. It would probably poke out of the wort for small batches, though.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
tyfernandez
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I don't believe you want the element exposed at all. I believe it'll burn out. It needs to be submerged completely.

I have seen people bend the elements before so they could still use their immersion chillers, would that be a possibility?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
LKHA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

the element needs to be completely covered so it dont burn up and you want some space between coils to get max cooling

I have seem some TERRIBLE advice on here in the past few months. I may even be guilty of bad advice myself.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could semi-permanently mount your chiller in your kettle like a reverse hermes or whatever. Take the element out, attach the chiller, put the element back in between the coils. I've toyed with the idea. Just make sure you can get it out easily for cleaning.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
BetterSense
Recipes 

I think that would be a nightmare for cleaning.

How bendable are heating elements? If it's possible to bend the element off to the side and kind of follow the kettle wall, there would easily be enough room for my chiller to fit beside it, and I don't think it would cause a heating problem. I just don't want to ruin my heating element if bending it will totally cause it to crumble or something.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I think that would be a nightmare for cleaning.

How bendable are heating elements? If it's possible to bend the element off to the side and kind of follow the kettle wall, there would easily be enough room for my chiller to fit beside it, and I don't think it would cause a heating problem. I just don't want to ruin my heating element if bending it will totally cause it to crumble or something.
Nah, if you can take it in and out via some sort of weldless fitting, it wouldn't be too bad.

I can tell you one thing. If your element gets exposed to air and turns red hot for a while, it'll bend like a tootsie roll. Yeah, float switch got installed pronto after that one.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Quick Reply