Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Heating Element Switch Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
JrZyBud
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Heating Element Switch Question

Okay so I've just finished wiring up my RIMS toolbox as per the RIMS for dummies thread. I used a 1500w element, Auber PID and 25amp SSR. I installed a switch between the SSR and the heating element.

When I turn on my box the element should only run when I have the switch set to the on position, but it seems to be running no matter what and I'm not sure why. I haven't calibrated the PID or run auto tune yet.

Here is a wiring diagram that just shows the PID, SSR, switch and Element. The switch is a 3 way 15/20amp switch I had laying around. What am I doing wrong? Does it have something to do with the SSR?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
hatrickwah
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

3-Way switch? What for? A simple 2-way should be all you need if you want to effect on/off on the element in line with your SSR. You are simply trying to effect the current to the element. A 3-way switch requires a second 3-way to have any effect here, as you have it, it will either always be on, or always off.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
JrZyBud
Recipes 

*EDIT*

Well I guess I will just have to go and get a different switch. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
hatrickwah
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Based on your diagram, I would say you should be good, make sure one wire is tied to your common and then of course the other tied to one of the other poles. I'm assuming you have a temp probe tied to the PID. I can't vouch for the PID autotuning and sort since I haven't gotten there yet on my brew rig, but from my experience you shouldn't need to tune it yet, it should still sense a temperature and it should switch as you set your target temps. Just a thought, but check your wiring to the SSR, make sure you have + on + and - on -, DC is picky.

Keeping busy brewing & building.

Electric Brewing Supply

My e-Brewery | Keezer Build & Tap Tower Refurbish |Glycol System

Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickwah View Post
3-Way switch? What for? A simple 2-way should be all you need if you want to effect on/off on the element in line with your SSR. You are simply trying to effect the current to the element. A 3-way switch requires a second 3-way to have any effect here, as you have it, it will either always be on, or always off.
Actually, a 3 way switch can be used as on/off. It's basically just a single pole double throw switch (SPDT). The "travelers" connect to the NC and NO terminals.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
JrZyBud
Recipes 

Okay well I stopped and picked up another switch on my way home ... I will wire this one up and see if it makes any difference. If not the only think I could think that would be the problem would be my 1 & 2 leads on the SSR. Everything else is wired properly

Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

agree with what bobby said. the 3-way switch is fine to use here, you just end up using it like a simple switch.

BUT.... this issue can't be related to the SSR. If your switch is off, then it doesn't matter what the SSR is doing - there simply isn't any path for current to flow on.

The 3-way switch might have been busted or something, which seems unlikely, but it's the only thing I can think of to try and explain why your element wouldn't shut off when the switch was flipped.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

You might've wired the 3-way switch incorrectly. Perform continuity tests on the 3-way switch to make sure you know how it works and that it's wired correctly.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The weird thing is that you could randomly pick any two of the three terminals on a 3-way switch and in no case would the two be connected constantly in both switch positions. If you picked the two travellers, it would never have connectivity. Broken is probably correct.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
JrZyBud
Recipes 

Well it must have been a faulty switch, because I just got around to replacing it and installing the new one and everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Quick Reply