Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Heat stick
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default Heat stick

Holy crap! It works! And I didn't kill myself. I'm impressed.

One I can brew in the basement and have my own private space. Winning.

__________________
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

Ooops, actually the plug began to melt. Hrmmm. Not a good sign.

__________________
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

And it had water inside it. So much for water tight. Wonder i didn't kill myself.

__________________
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
HHP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harker Heights, Texas
Posts: 374
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

How did you build it? Details? Pictures?

__________________
HHP is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
How did you build it? Details? Pictures?
http://www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick

I followed the instructions here. Pretty straight forward. I think my melting outlet has more to do with the old ass house's bad wiring. The outlet and wall heats up if we run a space heater in the winter.

Going to use the newer wiring for the washer on brew day. Should solve that issue.
__________________
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,273
Liked 254 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 449

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFry View Post
...
I think my melting outlet has more to do with the old ass house's bad wiring. The outlet and wall heats up if we run a space heater in the winter.

...
That right there is a huge warning sign. Please do something about this as you are at extreme risk of the house burning down. Call an electrician. It is very likely that you have aluminum wiring and over time the connections loosen inside the walls. It's a fire waiting to happen.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/re...te/19home.html
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
RevFry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
That right there is a huge warning sign. Please do something about this as you are at extreme risk of the house burning down. Call an electrician. It is very likely that you have aluminum wiring and over time the connections loosen inside the walls. It's a fire waiting to happen.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/re...te/19home.html
Thanks. Yeah, we rent. The wiring sucks. I've had to get UPSs for all the computer gear because I suspect the wiring in a number of cases of computer failure.

Like I said, I'll be using the newer wiring in the basement for brewing. We don't run the space heater anymore, either. =)
__________________
RevFry is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,154
Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

You should still have it checked. Doesn't matter if you rent or not. It sounds completely unsafe.

In fact if you rent, the owner should pay for it. It's their responsibility.

Please do something and do not use the outlets in the house at all until it's all checked out.

Kal

kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,420
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Not sure how you can sleep at night with that wiring situation!!!

GET IT CHECKED TODAY - make the landlord aware and get him/her to pay, take them to small claims court for the $$ if they won't. It is your LIFE after all.

__________________
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,154
Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Reminds me of some of the electrical work seen here:

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/ta...trical-hazard/

Please don't tell me that this is your electrical meter outside:



Kal

__________________
TheElectricBrewery.com: A step by step guide to building your own electric brewery
My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools