Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Has anyone tried these SSRs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
chadillac7819
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Has anyone tried these SSRs?

I was looking for some mechanical relays to control my pumps, a compact mini fridge, and some ferm wrap (all items under 2 Amps individually).

I ran accross these SSR boards with 8 2A SSRs and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with them in their breweries. Would they need a heat sink of some kind if I were pulling 1 - 2 A per relay?

http://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-8-Ch...ef=pd_sim_pc_2

51oeultoy8l__sl500_aa300_.jpg   51ir91zcvjl.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

If it gets hot you could run a fan across it. But it won't.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
hot_carl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks promising...Try running something drawing its normal load and monitor the temp of the SSR with a laser/infrared temp gun. If you find that they do run hot, you can find those small stick on heat sinks meant for computer memory, like these: http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Copper-...memory+hatsink

I'm not sure if SSR's really fall into the same category, but it seems to be a rule of thumb to run electrical devices at only 80% of the rated load continuously. In this case, that would put you at 1.6A

Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
alien
Recipes 

I could be wrong, but I don't think there will be room for those heatsinks.

I would be more worried about inrush current from the pumps than continuous current on the heater etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Those relays are rated at 2 amps @ 240V. Assuming your devices are really 110V, that gives you more headroom.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Your post says you're looking for mechanical relays, but you've linked to solid state relays. You're not gonna want to switch a fridge or pumps on/off that fast. Why not look at this SainSmart 8-Channel 5V Relay Module for Arduino DSP AVR PIC ARM or the 4-Channel version. They're cheaper, rated at 10 Amps and would be better suited for the loads you're switching. I also think you'll need a micro controller to get things working right.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
chadillac7819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
Your post says you're looking for mechanical relays, but you've linked to solid state relays. You're not gonna want to switch a fridge or pumps on/off that fast. Why not look at this SainSmart 8-Channel 5V Relay Module for Arduino DSP AVR PIC ARM or the 4-Channel version. They're cheaper, rated at 10 Amps and would be better suited for the loads you're switching. I also think you'll need a micro controller to get things working right.
I just ordered my BCS 462 yesterday so I am starting to source the various components. I was looking at those 10A relays and stumbled upon the 4 and 8 channel SSRs but I hadn't read anything on the forum about them.

Do SSRs HAVE to switch on and off at a high frequency? I thought they just COULD so were preferred over mechanical relays for PID. I want to use these smaller SSRs to control my ferm wraps and hop auger (both super low amps) so I can utilize the PWM functions of the BCS. Do you think that would work?

So would you reccomend a four channel mechanical relay for my three pumps and fridge and then use the four channel SSR to control the lower voltage items?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah you're correct, they should be able to cycle on/off slower if the input dictates. I guess I was thinking SSR is synonymous with PID (it's been a while since I built my Brewtroller). I guess it's really over kill for the pumps and fridge but would work as long as you're not exceeding the amp rating. It's probably a wash cost wise between buying two small boards vs the one SSR board, so I'd go with the single board. Sorry, I'm done meddling, back to the task at hand

Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
alien
Recipes 

Quote:
That's correct for the fridge but DC pumps you might want to use PWM to adjust the flow rate. This would require SSRs not mechanical relays.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table
N3Bruce Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
chadillac7819
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yeah you're correct, they should be able to cycle on/off slower if the input dictates. I guess I was thinking SSR is synonymous with PID (it's been a while since I built my Brewtroller). I guess it's really over kill for the pumps and fridge but would work as long as you're not exceeding the amp rating. It's probably a wash cost wise between buying two small boards vs the one SSR board, so I'd go with the single board. Sorry, I'm done meddling, back to the task at hand
Pickles, I checked out your rig and you can "meddle" all you want. That thing is sweet and really similar to what I am trying to set-up...two tier, three vessel, tube RIMS with bottom drained HLT and MLT. Any sage advice, things you have learned along the way?

Quick Reply