Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Has anyone added a 30a breaker to the 50a GFI spa panel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post

Read the reply I just posted...
Good call. Thanks! Jeffmeh and PJ, I think you just saved me some cash!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
...With that plan you would have the 30A GFCI protected power feed to your rig. Another thought is that if you decide to reconfigure your brewery, you still have the power (40A or 50A) with GFCI protection available for your controller...
But what is the cost benifit of doing this? You are spending money on another breaker, DIN rail, wiring in the spa panel.
The alternative is the cost of running your cable in a heavier gauge.
What is the expected cost for each option assuming typical cable lengths from panel to rig 10-15'?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post

But what is the cost benifit of doing this? You are spending money on another breaker, DIN rail, wiring in the spa panel.
The alternative is the cost of running your cable in a heavier gauge.
What is the expected cost for each option assuming typical cable lengths from panel to rig 10-15'?
From what I've seen, the cost of the spa panel, a regular 30 amp breaker, some short lengths of wire and a DIN rail are still cheaper than a quality 30 amp gfci breaker alone. Plus you're getting the option of expandability in the future if you want to "step up."
P-J Likes This 
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-love View Post
From what I've seen, the cost of the spa panel, a regular 30 amp breaker, some short lengths of wire and a DIN rail are still cheaper than a quality 30 amp gfci breaker alone. Plus you're getting the option of expandability in the future if you want to "step up."
Another HUGE plus is not having to modify the building wiring and/or change outlets et.al. Especially if the situation is that it is rental (apartment) property when any modification is strongly prohibited..

P-J

Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #15
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The cost comparison is a very reasonable question. That said, one of the posters did not want to build the panel himself, but wanted to purchase one of the highgravitybrew.com ones. Not that there would not be some building to effect this in the spa panel....

Also, I always felt a bit queasy about wiring everything with 10awg using the 50a spa panel, even though it is perfectly safe if the main breaker is 30a. What would not be safe is moving it to a circuit on a 50a breaker, as unlikely as that is to happen "inadvertently." In effect, we would be modifying the spa panel to match the control panel. That said, I would only do it if I needed to run off a breaker above 30a.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #16
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-love View Post
I've been contemplating this exact thing. I'm just going to say F it and buy a 30 amp gfi breaker for my main panel. I know the spa panel is the cheaper route for the gfci protection, but I don't need a 50 amp breaker, I need a 30 amp.

These things are stupid expensive though... :-\
Lemme know what type of breaker you need. My father is cleaning out his tool room and has a bunch if breakers he wants me to sell
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #17
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post

Lemme know what type of breaker you need. My father is cleaning out his tool room and has a bunch if breakers he wants me to sell
Thanks man. I'd be looking for a Square D 30 amp gfi. Let me know if you stumble upon one.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #18
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

There could be a HUGE cost savings here by dropping down to 30Abefore leavng the SPA panel depending on your situation.

You can get little panel mount circuit breakers rated for 30A for like $5-$7 last time I looked. Drop in a couple of those (one for each hot line) and you spent $10 or $15 total to drop down to 30A.

Now consider what I have seen a bunch of times, which is that people have a loooooooooooooooooooong cable running from the spa panel to the system control box. These cables can get stupid expensive, and if you are running a long length of it from the spa panel to the brewery, you will definitely recoup the $10-$15 you spend on the little breakers by buying a long 30A rated cable instead of a long 50A rated cable.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
AllanMar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
There could be a HUGE cost savings here by dropping down to 30Abefore leavng the SPA panel depending on your situation.

You can get little panel mount circuit breakers rated for 30A for like $5-$7 last time I looked. Drop in a couple of those (one for each hot line) and you spent $10 or $15 total to drop down to 30A.
UL489 breakers are a bit more expensive ($30-40) the $6 ones are usually UL1077's.

If you want cheap a fuse would likely be a better approach. You still have the 50A to function as a disconnect.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMar View Post
UL489 breakers are a bit more expensive ($30-40) the $6 ones are usually UL1077's.

If you want cheap a fuse would likely be a better approach. You still have the 50A to function as a disconnect.
This 2 POLE 30A B CURVE breaker is well suited for mounting in the Spa Panel. It is a UL1077 device that functions as needed for this application without issues or problems. Plus - it is DIN rail mountable & for $17.50 it is a great deal.

Quick Reply