The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Hard wiring rather than all these plugs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #51
goingmad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[OT mode ON]
Sparky I hate you!
[OT mode OFF]

As for the thread subject, I agree 100% with Kellzey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #52
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
The 50amp twist-locks are pretty common. Once you go up from there (60amps +) it is more moolah and takes some hunting.
What are you using for 50A twistlocks? It seems they are a step up from the 30A variety. Just wondering if I overlooked something...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #53
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I went locking with everything that hangs out the bottom of my panel for convenience and safety.

Yes, some of these cords require a lot of insertion force to push in/pull out so they may be fine to be non-locking. Maybe. I don't know. The power cord (for example) is stupidly heavy. All my connectors are on the bottom which made me want to go with locking even more. So why'd I put them on the bottom? Again for safety (water runs downhill), how it looks, etc.

Locking is used for safety. Just in case. Like the seatbelt in your car. You just don't know what might happen one day. You may not normally pull on a cord but you just never know. We don't use locking because it's an absolute requirement to make the thing work.

Look at it in the opposite direction: Why not go for locking? The *only* benefit to not using locking is to save money. There are no other benefits. Everything else is a negative. So you need to make that choice yourself. Nobody else can tell you "you should use locking" or that "you don't need to use locking" or anything else for that matter since this is setup you use yourself at home that you built yourself.

Kal

Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #54
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
I went locking with everything that hangs out the bottom of my panel for convenience and safety.

Yes, some of these cords require a lot of insertion force to push in/pull out so they may be fine to be non-locking. Maybe. I don't know. The power cord (for example) is stupidly heavy. All my connectors are on the bottom which made me want to go with locking even more. So why'd I put them on the bottom? Again for safety (water runs downhill), how it looks, etc.

Locking is used for safety. Just in case. Like the seatbelt in your car. You just don't know what might happen one day. You may not normally pull on a cord but you just never know. We don't use locking because it's an absolute requirement to make the thing work.

Look at it in the opposite direction: Why not go for locking? The *only* benefit to not using locking is to save money. There are no other benefits. Everything else is a negative. So you need to make that choice yourself. Nobody else can tell you "you should use locking" or that "you don't need to use locking" or anything else for that matter since this is setup you use yourself at home that you built yourself.

Kal
Well said! Thanks for Providing all your hard work to all of us on your web site.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #55
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Well said Kal, and I think that if my design was such that the wires all connected to the bottom of the CP like yours I would choose locking plugs as well.

In my design, all the plugs will be on the side of the control panel, and I have even thought about utilizing some sort of quick latching strain relief to hold the wires in place a little more securely. Doubt that will go in right away, but after a few brews if I see it fit, I will look into it.

Like you said, each person has to justify their design to themselves, and only themselves, since they will be the ones using it. While I would absolutely love to have a system similar to yours, I decided I would rather spend the money on other things (or maybe that was SWMBO’s decision) and keep it simple and cheaper where I could.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #56
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My reasons for following Kals design to the T was based on the possibility of eventually selling it if I stop brewing...thought about a cheaper enclosure, leaving out the volt/amp meters, hard wiring, etc but in the end, I wanted something clearly recognizable as The Kal Build.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #57
ekjohns
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Locking is used for safety.
Can you explain why locking on the control panel is for safety? My only though is it would be to keep the power cord going from the spa panel from falling off and landing in a puddle of water, which is a very good reason. As far as all the other plugs if they get yanked from the control panel there is no power going to them. I guess if they fall in a puddle and you pick it up to plug it back in that could be bad. However, if they are locking and you trip on the cord going from the panel to the BK then your going to tip the BK all over and possibly on yourself.

(This is not meant to be mean or rude if it came off that way, I just want to be as safe as possible and want to make sure I fully understand all the safety steps)

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #58
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
Can you explain why locking on the control panel is for safety? My only though is it would be to keep the power cord going from the spa panel from falling off and landing in a puddle of water, which is a very good reason. As far as all the other plugs if they get yanked from the control panel there is no power going to them. I guess if they fall in a puddle and you pick it up to plug it back in that could be bad. However, if they are locking and you trip on the cord going from the panel to the BK then your going to tip the BK all over and possibly on yourself.

(This is not meant to be mean or rude if it came off that way, I just want to be as safe as possible and want to make sure I fully understand all the safety steps)
Worst case scenario: Say a cord comes loose and falls out over time. That itself isn't probably going to be unsafe. What is unsafe is that before it actually falls out the electrical connection points (spades) would only be touching in a few small spots which means more current flowing through small spots which means increased temperature which could cause a fire/melting/etc.

Locking connectors help avoid intermittent connections which can be just as important as avoiding things come completely undone. The setup should be designed to be safe if a cord was to actually be unplugged. (This is why I use female element receptacles and a male power in receptacle on the control panel).

Regarding tripping over cords: Cords should be placed in such a way that this would never be an issue. They should not be anywhere where you are walking. Walk an assembly plant floor: You'll never see (or should never see) operators with cords on the floor in their work zone.

Kal

Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #59
ekjohns
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

that makes since

Quick Reply