New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Hard wiring rather than all these plugs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
tator2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

What I did was mount my control box to a rolling cart and hardwired the receptacles to the cart. I have a 10 foot cable from the back of the controller to the spa outlet everything else is in pvc across the back of the cart.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator2k View Post
What I did was mount my control box to a rolling cart and hardwired the receptacles to the cart. I have a 10 foot cable from the back of the controller to the spa outlet everything else is in pvc across the back of the cart.
Thats a good idea. One of the issues I am worried about is having all these 220 dryer cords plugged into my small control panel, and the tension from the thick cords pulling on the panel all the time. I was originally thinking the CP could just sit on my bench but I think it will have to be mounted fairly securely I believe.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Since my system is totally portable it was better for me to put the locking plugs on the control box. It's much easier for me to clean and store my system on it's roller cart.
My control box is plastic and the appliance plugs take so much force to insert plus I wanted my outlets on the bottom. I am not aware of an appliance plug that isn't 90°.
I plan on adapting the main power cord for the box and the kettle later on.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I was just making sure I wasn't missing something. My system is built on a rolling stand everything is plumed in with 5/8 od hard copper & stainless fittings, with the exception of my MT that is set up to dump & be switched out for a larger MT when more than 3 of us are brewing. Cleaning has never been a problem, after brewing everything is cleaned out & flushed, drained and stored with all the valves open to dry.

PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE RISING COST IN AMMO PRICES I WILL NO LONGER BE FIRING A WARNING SHOT.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh@t by the clean end."

Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I feel the plug for pwr in is a little over done. I dont know people w many of those recept that if i wanted to go there for a brew day id be able to just pack up my stuff and go. Also i dont really want to either. Cleaning of the vessels is a different story. I def want to detach my vessels from the elect connection and get a good cleaning. But thats also why theres a nut on the element. Just undo the nut amd take it out. Wipe it down. Sanitize and reinstall. Now u have me thinkin about doing away w my plugs. Save the room in my cp. Hmmmm

Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarroll86 View Post
I feel the plug for pwr in is a little over done. I dont know people w many of those recept that if i wanted to go there for a brew day id be able to just pack up my stuff and go. Also i dont really want to either. Cleaning of the vessels is a different story. I def want to detach my vessels from the elect connection and get a good cleaning. But thats also why theres a nut on the element. Just undo the nut amd take it out. Wipe it down. Sanitize and reinstall. Now u have me thinkin about doing away w my plugs. Save the room in my cp. Hmmmm
How do you have your element installed such that you can get to the wiring easily, unscrew the nut(s) (two power and one ground) then reattach so easily?

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I chose to hardwire everything for several reasons. It was simpler, it cost less, it left more room inside my control panel, it looks cleaner, and it matches my intended hard-plumbing. I intend for this to all be clean in place. That being said, I am a mechanic by trade, and I know that EVERYTHING is prone to failure. Everything in my build is assembled to be serviceable, meaning that I can disassemble IF needed without a complete disaster. My girlfriend might not be able to take it apart (because of the lack of plugs) but she probably shouldn't be touching the rig anyhow

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-Craft-Brewing/109802049089362?ref=hl

Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121

How do you have your element installed such that you can get to the wiring easily, unscrew the nut(s) (two power and one ground) then reattach so easily?
Ok. So i forgot one step. "undo grd". Then remove nut and take out element. Either way not a big deal. Not dealin w either phase wires

Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Sparky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Brewing outdoors vs indoors is what drives the hard wire format.
Here you go: Outside brewing with 60amp whip, plug & sleave.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Brewing outdoors vs indoors is what drives the hard wire format.
Here you go: Outside brewing with 60amp whip, plug & sleave.
Okay you suck!

I want to brew there.

Quick Reply