Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electric Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/)
-   -   Grounding element vs groundinv kettle? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/grounding-element-vs-groundinv-kettle-228795/)

ExHempKnight 02-28-2011 08:36 PM

Grounding element vs grounding kettle?
 
Which is better?

I'm putting my element together. I was originally planning to drill a hole next to the hot lugs, and solder the ground wire into it. I would then pot the whole thin into a pvc coupler with JBWeld.

However, this doesn't seem nearly as easy as potting just the hot wires, keeping the ground wire separate, and connecting the ground wire to a welded ground lug on the kettle.

Is there a difference (electrically)?

Scut_Monkey 02-28-2011 10:30 PM

I put my ground on the bottom of the keg. I debated if I could or should put it on the element itself but there just wasn't much room to make this work. In the end I drilled a hole just large enough for my ground wire to pass through the PVC coupler. I then pulled it through and potted all the wires into coupler with JB weld. After it cured I then attached the ground to the kettle. It seems to be neat and has good continuity.

kappclark 03-01-2011 12:24 AM

what is the best way in the case of a rubbermaid cooler ? I have seer the copper ring solution, and also someone sugested grounding to the outlet of the ball valve.

In any case, the thing has to be grounded.

ExHempKnight 03-01-2011 12:25 AM

Well, thanks for the input.

Kind of a moot point though... As I just bit the bullet and did this:

http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/...bb7tvuviyr.jpg

http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage2/...6gihrmbyeh.jpg

ExHempKnight 03-01-2011 12:26 AM

Edit: Pics now a more manageable size. Sorry!

Scut_Monkey 03-01-2011 01:05 AM

Hmmm... I see. So you soldered it on there. What was your technique. It seems to have worked well.

ExHempKnight 03-01-2011 03:23 AM

I drilled the hole with a #10 drill bit until it just broke through the other side. The flange isn't as big on the thread side, so I ended up with half a hole, which was fine (as I only needed to fill solder from that side). I used a small needle file to deburr the hole.

Then I stripped the wire, and tinned it. Then, using a big ass soldering iron (seriously... The thing is like a foot long, and the tip is easily 1/2" diameter) I heated the wire & element flange from the back side, until it was hot enough to fill with solder.

It took a while to heat up. I was originally using a regular sized soldering iron, which would've taken all night. So I grabbed the big one, which took 5 minutes. I kinda blobbed too much solder on, so I had to use a heated solder sucker to clean it up some(An advantage of being an airline mechanic is the access to all kinds of useful tools).

After it had cooled, I cleaned up the gasket flange the rest of the way with a file. Now I just have to pot the PVC coupling with JBweld.

Much easier than I thought it would be.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.