Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Grounding an element in a plastic cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
As long as your element is grounded to something metal, yes you'll be safe.
What? This cannot be true. The whole point of grounding is that it ultimately has to go to the ground. Just connecting it to something metal doesn't help if that metal is not in turn connected to ground.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 795 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
What? This cannot be true. The whole point of grounding is that it ultimately has to go to the ground. Just connecting it to something metal doesn't help if that metal is not in turn connected to ground.
This is true. Your cord will carry an equipment ground from the power supply. This should be connected to the box...grounding the box. The element should be "bonded" to the box either by threading it in or some other means of making it electrically joined with the metal of the box.

All metal components of a system should be grounded and bonded together. If you think of touching a hot wire to a piece of metal in a system...if it is not grounded or bonded it can become energized and if you touch it you become the path to ground.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #13
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You cant test wort with a multimeter. There are a lot of things out there that will not show continuity, for example an aluminum can, yet electrical wires can be aluminum. You cant just ground the threads and hope that continues through to the wort. But you can try and see what happens.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #14
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ
You cant test wort with a multimeter. There are a lot of things out there that will not show continuity, for example an aluminum can, yet electrical wires can be aluminum. You cant just ground the threads and hope that continues through to the wort. But you can try and see what happens.
Wow. OK boss.

I'll just ignore those mA readings then.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
So pull out your multimeter and test. I did.
Just to be sure we are on the same page, do you think that sitting in a bathtub of wort while someone throws a live wire 110/220 into the tub will cause you any trouble?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ascha, If the hole you drill in the box is slightly larger than the diameter of the threads, the meat at the "base" of the heating element will rest against the metal of the box. In pic 8 at the top, you'll see a post. You'll need a green self tapping (grounding) screw (if your box hasn't been opened at the store, it should come with one). Thread that into the post. If your cord has solid conductors, wrap the green (or bare copper) wire around that screw and tighten. If your cord has stranded conductors, use ring or spade terminals to attach your wires to their respective terminals. If it has a bare copper conductor, you could use some heat shrink on it to reduce the risk of it accidentally coming in contact with a hot wire. These boxes rae painted to reduce the effects of corrosion, so you might want to peel away some of the paint (where the element meets the box) to get a better metal to metal contact. This should make everything grounded. Hope that helped. Pete
PS - Almost all liquids are conductive to a degree. According to Mythbusters, you can pee on the third rail and not get shocked. I won't be field testing this anytime soon...

Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Just to be sure we are on the same page, do you think that sitting in a bathtub of wort while someone throws a live wire 110/220 into the tub will cause you any trouble?
Too many variables to say for certain. I'm not volunteering.

The conductivity of wort would depend on the quantity of dissolved ionic materials. As wort (hopefully) isn't very salty, it should be a relatively poor conductor. I saw 3-4mA @ 120V from an open hot to a grounded kettle through wort. It wasn't even enough to trip the GFCI.

Like all electric threads here at HBT, this one has gone off the rails. The OP should ground all touchable metal surfaces AND use GFCI.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
The OP should ground all touchable metal surfaces AND use GFCI.
This is all that was needed said, some of the debates on here leave me wondering how many HBT members get get there d!cks blown off or do damage to their property. Some scary replies from an electrical engineers viewpoint.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

aahhh engineers. It works out on paper so it must be....except when it's not even close in the real world :P Just stirring the poo.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
aahhh engineers. It works out on paper so it must be....except when it's not even close in the real world :P Just stirring the poo.
I am more practical than you may think. No pocket protector. Dont get me wrong I would never tell someone they are not "educated enough" to build these systems, thats what they are here for. I have just seen some answers and questions over time that scare me. Should scare anyone with any knowledge of electricity. My system is safe and built to well within its limits. I do this for a living in our lab so I have the experience points to back up the paper.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Quick Reply