Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electric Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/)
-   -   GFCI Spa box question......need opinion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/gfci-spa-box-question-need-opinion-377217/)

scottstribling 12-30-2012 02:26 AM

GFCI Spa box question......need opinion
 
Asking question...not looking for attacks. The cost of safety is priceless...but here is a question. A 30A 240V GFCI Breaker is roughly $120. A 50amp spa box is $69 at Home Depot.

If i were to run a 30A 2 pole breaker (Non-GFCI) in my Electrical panel, feeding a 10/3 line connected to a 50a GFCI Spa box. Would this in theory and safety, work?

My thought is would have the GFCI at "Wet" end and would have a 30amp feed from origin (electrical panel).

P-J 12-30-2012 02:32 AM

Absolutely.

BTW... It is not in theory. It is a matter of fact.

If you need additional info, I'd be glad to help.

P-J

scottstribling 12-30-2012 02:37 AM

So having the 50a breaker is not a problem since my system is a 30A (from source)?

P-J 12-30-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottstribling (Post 4727372)
So having the 50a breaker is not a problem since my system is a 30A (from source)?

Exactly. The 30A mains panel breaker provides the wiring protection. The Spa Panel GFCI breaker then only provides the GFCI protection. Done deal.

P-J

scottstribling 12-30-2012 02:54 AM

Thanks P-J!

355Newell 12-30-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-J (Post 4727354)
Absolutely.

Ill second that.

whoaru99 12-30-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottstribling (Post 4727338)

If i were to run a 30A 2 pole breaker (Non-GFCI) in my Electrical panel, feeding a 10/3 line connected to a 50a GFCI Spa box. Would this in theory and safety, work?


You mean 10/3 with ground (4-wire cable), right?

scottstribling 12-31-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoaru99 (Post 4727971)
You mean 10/3 with ground (4-wire cable), right?


You are correct.

-TH- 12-31-2012 02:45 AM

Fyi the reason for the big difference in price is because the spa panel's gfci disconnect switch is not an over-current protection device (i.e. circuit breaker). But like the others said, you're fine because of the breaker in your main panel.

P-J 12-31-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -TH- (Post 4730385)
Fyi the reason for the big difference in price is because the spa panel's gfci disconnect switch is not an over-current protection device (i.e. circuit breaker). But like the others said, you're fine because of the breaker in your main panel.

Hmmmm....

The Spa Panel GFCI breaker is indeed both a GFCI breaker AND an over current breaker rated @ 50A.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.