Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > GFCI cheap

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Nail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
Posts: 49
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I am waiting for mine to get here so I can test it. Although I am not sure how I am going to time less than a second. I am having bungs welded on my kettle for the heater element so I am not really worried about some of the problems that haunt heatsticks. I am adding the GFCI to my cabinet because you can never be too careful.

__________________

Neil

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

Nail is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
eric_pwb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail View Post
I am waiting for mine to get here so I can test it. Although I am not sure how I am going to time less than a second. I am having bungs welded on my kettle for the heater element so I am not really worried about some of the problems that haunt heatsticks. I am adding the GFCI to my cabinet because you can never be too careful.
That's my sentiments, After I seen the price of Stab-lok gfi breakers and spa panels here in Canada, I was prepared to go without one altogether. So even if takes 3/4 - 1 second its a whole bunch better than not at all.
__________________
eric_pwb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_pwb View Post
After I seen the price of Stab-lok gfi breakers and spa panels here in Canada, I was prepared to go without one altogether.
So.... you had decided that your life was worth less than the price of GFCI?

I was disheartened by the price of GFCI when I started looking into putting my system together, but I made the opposite decision as you. I had decided that if I couldn't afford the GFCI, then I simply wasn't going to build an electric system.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
eric_pwb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
So.... you had decided that your life was worth less than the price of GFCI?
Not at all... I believe that well thought out and properly constructed system provides the protection that is needed. Things like cable routing away from heat, and potting electrical connections in epoxy and containing them in water tight enclosures, and of course proper grounding, a GFI is simply the last line of defence.

Don't get me wrong, I DO think they are a great idea, and they do step in in extraordinary circumstances, but if your rig is constructed properly and you use common sense during its operation there should be no need for one... That being said, now that I have seen this one, I will be including it when it shows up.
__________________
eric_pwb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #15
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I'd actually consider GFCI the 1st line of defense for human protection, but each person determines their own level of acceptable risk in a brewing rig design.

__________________

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

jkarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I agree that in a scenario where mistakes are never made, accidents never happen, and components never fail.... then GFCI is total unnecessary.

But, I tend to drink while brewing.

__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
Nail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
Posts: 49
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Just an update. I received my main power contact relay today. It was listed as new on eBay but is not even close. It has bluing on the contacts, screws missing, etc. First I was highly upset but then figured it could be an opportunity. Point of the story is I found a 240v relay 120v coil listed on the approved GFCI for use for $13 shipped on ebay. So for anyone that has not bought their main relay and are still designing their cabinet like I am, here is the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260794571521#ht_695wt_ 905

So recap GFCI-$20, relay $13. Still cheaper than the spa panel by itself, not to mention the cost of the separate relay.

__________________

Neil

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

Nail is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #18
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bernie Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eldorado, WI
Posts: 7,539
Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_pwb View Post
Not at all... I believe that well thought out and properly constructed system provides the protection that is needed. Things like cable routing away from heat, and potting electrical connections in epoxy and containing them in water tight enclosures, and of course proper grounding, a GFI is simply the last line of defence.

Don't get me wrong, I DO think they are a great idea, and they do step in in extraordinary circumstances, but if your rig is constructed properly and you use common sense during its operation there should be no need for one... That being said, now that I have seen this one, I will be including it when it shows up.
Um, if you DON'T use a GFCI, then your system is neither well thought out nor properly constructed. Period.
__________________
I like to squeeze the nickle until the buffalo craps-mt rob

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
Bernie Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
HHP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Harker Heights, Texas
Posts: 374
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Um, if you DON'T use a GFCI, then your system is neither well thought out nor properly constructed. Period.
Ain't that the truth.
__________________
HHP is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 03:19 AM   #20
EarthBound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beer Capital of the World
Posts: 984
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker View Post
I agree that in a scenario where mistakes are never made, accidents never happen, and components never fail.... then GFCI is total unnecessary.

But, I tend to drink while brewing.
lmao!
__________________

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

EarthBound is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gfci? rod734 Electric Brewing 9 04-26-2011 04:48 PM
Odd GFCI Connections? ScubaSteve Electric Brewing 48 04-06-2011 01:20 PM
Is this the right kind of GFCI? wh4tig0t Electric Brewing 11 03-24-2011 11:03 PM
GFCI wiring? ExHempKnight Electric Brewing 5 10-23-2010 08:53 PM