Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Gfci?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
rod734
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Gfci?

Just wondering why a GFCI is so important on a brew Kettle? I can understand on a hot tub, spa, pool, ect. but how is a brew system different from an electric range, clothes dryer, or hot water heater? I'v been wanting to build an electric system, but never considered the need for a GFCI untill I started reading the forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod734 View Post
Just wondering why a GFCI is so important on a brew Kettle? I can understand on a hot tub, spa, pool, ect. but how is a brew system different from an electric range, clothes dryer, or hot water heater? I'v been wanting to build an electric system, but never considered the need for a GFCI untill I started reading the forum.
I am no electrician but, IIRC, under the NEC anything electric that is used in a wet location or has water contact is required to be on a interuppted circuit. Be it pigtail end, the receptacle, or the breaker itself.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 6

While the electrical code varies from country to country, in the United States GFIs are typically required in kitchens, bathrooms, and other places that can be wet and the National Electrical Code (NEC) requires that GFI devices intended to protect people interrupt the circuit if the leakage current exceeds a range of 4–6 mA of current (the trip setting is typically 5 mA) within 25 ms. In other places the trip setting may be as high as 10-30mA.

A GFI should be (IMHO) used in any electric brewery.

Kal

Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

It's crucial! I don't know about your brewing, but when I brew, there seems to be water on the floor, on the stand, some wort boilovers, etc. I use a hose with a CFC, I fill the HLT with a hose and/or jugs of RO water, etc.

A brewstand is nothing like an electric range or clothes dryer in that respect. Yes, I put wet clothes into the dryer, but not water.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with everybody.
I wouldn't say GFCIs are important, but your life is.
In a typical homebrewing setup, you have a bad combination of sometimes sharp edges, a fair amount of equipment, high temperatures, and liquid. All those things can eventually cause a situation in which YOU may be the shortest path to ground. Adding a GFCI is a cheap way to minimize that risk.

A pessimist is a well informed optimist.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would add to that- that you are usually not DIY-ing your own kitchen stove, dryer, dishwasher, etc.

when those appliances are engineered, its done so that in case of any electrical failure, any piece of metal that could become live is connected to ground and all electrical components are sufficiently removed from the user.

Brew rigs are usually home built, often by people who are not electrical engineers (no matter how well built), and often with below optimal electrical systems. whenever you are mixing water, electricity and metal its always a good idea to have safeguards.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you build your rig correctly you will never need a GFCI but you should have one anyways. They are like airbags in cars, hopefully you never need it.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
i would add to that- that you are usually not DIY-ing your own kitchen stove, dryer, dishwasher, etc.

whenever you are mixing water, electricity and metal its always a good idea to have safeguards.

Add beer to the mix too and it becomes even more obvious why you may need extra safeguards. I rarely have a few pints while doing the laundry.

Kal

Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

To me it is mostly based on the fact a brewery is a "wash down" environment. Think about how much water is on the floor/walls/ near electrical connections when cooking (hope it is minimal). Now when i am brewing i have hoses running around, wet concrete from cleaning, and a boil kettle has at least 5 gallons in it, seldom do i have that much water on my stove (except when brewing).
the engineers dirty little secret is everything needs to be weighed: cost, consequences of failure, risk of failure. Everything has a chance to fail, and fail catastrophically, reducing that chance at a low cost is the key. Chances of failure with the stove grounding is low, chances of brew system grounding is higher.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
I rarely have a few pints while doing the laundry.
come on now... let be honest. who hasnt thrown a few back while trying to iron a strait line in your work shirts on a saturday morning. makes it less boring.

to each his own i suppose

Quick Reply