The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Float switch in boil kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
BrothOfVigor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
my plan is to put it between the PID and the SSR, without any way to defeat.
Yeah, this definitely seems like the most straight forward approach. I use hop bags though and am worried about a bag snagging onto the switch and tricking the system. I suppose if you had some kind of buzzer or light indicator to let you know the float switch was triggered you could remedy it pretty easily.

I still like the idea of being able to bypass the float when it is time to boil, since I know I wont be running into chances to dry fire at that point. But I suppose that does leave me the chance to leave the switch in bypass mode on the next system start up...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
RichBenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrothOfVigor View Post
Yeah, this definitely seems like the most straight forward approach. I use hop bags though and am worried about a bag snagging onto the switch and tricking the system. I suppose if you had some kind of buzzer or light indicator to let you know the float switch was triggered you could remedy it pretty easily.
Hmmm, thanks for mentioning that. I use one of those hop spiders right now, so I'll have to check the depth and see where it falls, worst case. Hopefully, it'll be away from both the elements and the switch.

Electric heating sure has it's own set of challenges....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply