Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > enough power for a 10 gallon boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Stellrbrewr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default enough power for a 10 gallon boil?

Im thinking of getting a 15 gallon brewpot and installing two heater elements in it. Going to use it for mostly 5 gallon batches with the ability to do 10s if I want. One heater is going to be on all the time to keep the boil and the other is going to be on just to help bring to a boil. My options are a 2.5kw and 2kw heater, or a 3kw and a 1.5kw heater. My question is will the 2.5kw setup be enough to keep 10 gallons boiling, or would the 3k be better. I'd rather do the 2.5k and 2k if i can (cant find a 1.5k stainless element and I'd rather use stainless)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use 2 x 2k elements at 120v. Works great. Might want to let us know what voltage you are going to be using. 120 or 240

Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Stellrbrewr
Recipes 

I'm using 240v.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
I use 2 x 2k elements at 120v. Works great. Might want to let us know what voltage you are going to be using. 120 or 240
Are you boiling 10gal with that?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
Are you boiling 10gal with that?
I can boil 10 gal. easily w/ 2 elements at 2000w each (4000w total). I throttle one element with one of these to adjust the boil

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10760

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I can boil 10 gal. easily w/ 2 elements at 2000w each (4000w total). I throttle one element with one of these to adjust the boil

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10760
That's a very interesting idea! How much do you need to throttle back for 10gal? I use 2kW to boil 5gal batches straight power. I was thinking 2x 2kW straight power would boil 10gal but it sounds like that is too much. I wonder if one 2kW and 1 1.5kW would boil 10gal nice? I am trying to size elements rather than put controls in.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I use the router control mostly when I use my 11 gal kettle and it is filled just shy of the top. When I use my 15 gallon kettle both 2000w elements can run full for a nice boil. I bought the router control on ebay because 2000w was a little timid, and 4000w would splash out of the kettle a bit when boiling near the rim. If you have the headspace, I think 4000w would be reasonable for 10 gallons. I have no idea how much "throttle back" is required, but I would guess its considerable....maybe the 2nd element is at 30%???

EDIT...Yea 3500 will do ten gallons as well, but will be a little slower heating sparge and strike water as well as coming up to boil. You will get a more rapid boil w/ 4kw but just sparge a greater volume and let it boil down. One thin I have done that is handy is to boil down to a certain colume rather than a spwcific time boil. I will boil my 1st hop addition for as long as it takes to reduce kettle volume and then work towards the end. I have done som brews quickly at a rapid boil...say 60 minutes. Yet other times when I want to do other things I will just maintain a more relaxed boil with just the 2 kw for say 120+ minutes...sort of a set it and forget style...and that seems to work well as well.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

Old 06-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I was thinking 2x 2kW straight power would boil 10gal but it sounds like that is too much. I wonder if one 2kW and 1 1.5kW would boil 10gal nice? I am trying to size elements rather than put controls in.
Way to much. I have to throttle back on a 13.5 gallon boil with 4500 watts.

_

Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I use 2kW to boil 5gal batches straight power.
Refreshing to hear that someone is doing this...I think that this is a great, simple and easy way for someone to get started w/ electric brewing. If you read most of the threads here, there is a general notion that you NEED more wattage and a controller to brew electric...when IMHO it doesn't need to be that complicated, unless of course you WANT it to be.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Refreshing to hear that someone is doing this...I think that this is a great, simple and easy way for someone to get started w/ electric brewing. If you read most of the threads here, there is a general notion that you NEED more wattage and a controller to brew electric...when IMHO it doesn't need to be that complicated, unless of course you WANT it to be.
Thanks, I have a very simple 5gal system. MT and a BK. The BK acts as a RIMS as I recirculate throuh the MT, into the BK, then back to MT. I use an old temp controller with a built in relay that I took off of a dead vapor degreaser. Boils great with 2kW, no sparge, no chill and makes great beer.

I'm with you; some of these rigs are sexy as hell, but they are just not for me.

Quick Reply