Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Element question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Element question

My heating element came with a rubber washer, but looking at Kals drawings it appears that the stock heating element washer isn't used. Just eye balling it, with the washer it looks like there won't be enough thread for the locknut inside the kettle.

I'm in the home stretch now. My controller is done except for soldering the probe wires. Barring any surprises my heating element should be installed tomorrow. So I plan to do my test boils on Friday, and then brew on Saturday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
Gussymo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used the washer when I built my boil kettle. It hasn't leaked for 2 years.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."
-Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

a lot of guys ditch the black rubber gasket and just use the locknut and silicon o-ring because they can't get the threads to grab with the washer on there.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I ditched my black washer because I boiled it in a cup of water, cooled it, then tasted the water. It tasted like rubberized ass...

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
a lot of guys ditch the black rubber gasket and just use the locknut and silicon o-ring because they can't get the threads to grab with the washer on there.
yep, thats exactly what I did. the silicon o-ring can be had at bargain fittings.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
acefaser
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonex View Post
yep, thats exactly what I did. the silicon o-ring can be had at bargain fittings.
If anyone needs one of these o-rings I have plenty. I ordered a pack of 25 from oringsandmore.com. Cheaper than one from bargainfittings

Old 06-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
eric_pwb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefaser View Post
If anyone needs one of these o-rings I have plenty. I ordered a pack of 25 from oringsandmore.com. Cheaper than one from bargainfittings
What is the size number of the o-ring? I bought a couple from another vendor, but for the prices on oringsandmore I wouldn't mind having 24 spares!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
acefaser
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They are #217. If you have the camloc quick disconnects order the #210 also to replace the black rubber ones. Had them shipped to my house for $11 total!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
wh4tig0t
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I ditched my black washer because I boiled it in a cup of water, cooled it, then tasted the water. It tasted like rubberized ass...
How much of your wort is really touching that washer tho? Not to say you're wrong, I just wonder for my self. I have welded on couplers for my elements, and physically, to me, it seems like very little of the rubber would be exposed. Also it should be about the same with the lock nut, assuming the washer is on the outside of the kettle.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh4tig0t View Post
How much of your wort is really touching that washer tho? Not to say you're wrong, I just wonder for my self. I have welded on couplers for my elements, and physically, to me, it seems like very little of the rubber would be exposed. Also it should be about the same with the lock nut, assuming the washer is on the outside of the kettle.
Oh, there isn't much touching the wort at all I'll certainly agree with that. But if I were making a really light pilsner for example, and I get this nagging off-flavor that I just can't pin down and I trace it back to the element, I think I'd be pretty pissed at myself for not replacing it.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply