Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electrical Diagram feedback for a 50A HERMS Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I went back and forth on the EPO method and opted for the GFCI trip. I looked into proper shunt trip beakers but they're damn costly so opted against. Tripping the GFCI is the next best thing in my opinion. Having the coil power run through the NC block on the EPO is a nice backup plan if for some reason the GFCI doesn't trip, but I think it should be the backup and not your primary option.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)
P-J Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #12
Rarian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
I went back and forth on the EPO method and opted for the GFCI trip. I looked into proper shunt trip beakers but they're damn costly so opted against. Tripping the GFCI is the next best thing in my opinion. Having the coil power run through the NC block on the EPO is a nice backup plan if for some reason the GFCI doesn't trip, but I think it should be the backup and not your primary option.
Agreed. The way I'm looking at it is this: Unless, I'm an idiot and have blown the fuse on my GFCI shunt, and my GFCI has not failed I kill all power to my panel. Unless something has seriously gone wrong with my contactor (or my e-stop switch) I've killed all power past my main relay. If both those have failed simultaneously, I should just expect the incoming meteor impact as I win the lottery.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #13
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarian View Post
Agreed. The way I'm looking at it is this: Unless, I'm an idiot and have blown the fuse on my GFCI shunt, and my GFCI has not failed I kill all power to my panel. Unless something has seriously gone wrong with my contactor (or my e-stop switch) I've killed all power past my main relay. If both those have failed simultaneously, I should just expect the incoming meteor impact as I win the lottery.
An OH - By the way - The 1 amp fuse I placed in the diagrams is only there to insure that the wiring is done in a proper way. Once completed and tested, it is no longer needed. (It is a initial don't fail on me plan - once done? Not needed.!)

P-J

Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #14
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
Sorry but I must disagree. Unless your control panel falls into your boil kettle, what is the reason for killing the feed? If it did fall into the BK, the gfci would take care of that anyway. Killing the main contactor will kill all power leaving the CP and that is where the issue would be. I think using both methods is smart. If I had to chose one, my e-stop would kill my main contactor and it does.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #15
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
An OH - By the way - The 1 amp fuse I placed in the diagrams is only there to insure that the wiring is done in a proper way. Once completed and tested, it is no longer needed. (It is a initial don't fail on me plan - once done? Not needed.!)

P-J
Come on PJ. It's there in case you push the big red button without the feed being connected to a gfi breaker. The resistor fries or the fuse blows...what's the difference? I will convince you someday...

Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #16
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Come on PJ. It's there in case you push the big red button without the feed being connected to a gfi breaker. The resistor fries or the fuse blows...what's the difference? I will convince you someday...
Go about your mission.

Get over it. You do not stand a chance.!

Good luck.!

(Be carefull here! I'm very old and easily ticked off. I can shut down all of)
Never mind..

Never mind, do what you gotta do. I'll do what I gotta do.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #17
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

PJ, I love you. I love arguing with you. This place is not the same without you. Cheers!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #18
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
PJ, I love you. I love arguing with you. This place is not the same without you. Cheers!
You came damn close to me shutting down all of my diagrams. (Because of your close affiliations with a significant moderator.)

Do what you gotta do...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You came damn close to me shutting down all of my diagrams. (Because of your close affiliations with a significant moderator.)

Do what you gotta do...
I have no knowledge of that. It was certainly not my intent. I'm just here offering my opinions with an open mind in case I may learn something (and I definitely have). We disagree on some issues. So be it. No hard feelings on my end.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If something happens and a lot of liquid falls on my panel - maybe I have a carboy shatter on me, who knows... I want to secure all power.

Really, we're arguing whether it's necessary to kill power in a few feet of supply line. I figure if I'm going to do it, may as well do it all. If shunt trip breakers weren't $400 I'd kill power all the way to the main panel. At least with the leak current I kill power back to the spa panel.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)

Quick Reply