Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electrical Diagram feedback for a 50A HERMS Build

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,072
Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

I went back and forth on the EPO method and opted for the GFCI trip. I looked into proper shunt trip beakers but they're damn costly so opted against. Tripping the GFCI is the next best thing in my opinion. Having the coil power run through the NC block on the EPO is a nice backup plan if for some reason the GFCI doesn't trip, but I think it should be the backup and not your primary option.

__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)


Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)
BadNewsBrewery is offline
P-J Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #12
Rarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
I went back and forth on the EPO method and opted for the GFCI trip. I looked into proper shunt trip beakers but they're damn costly so opted against. Tripping the GFCI is the next best thing in my opinion. Having the coil power run through the NC block on the EPO is a nice backup plan if for some reason the GFCI doesn't trip, but I think it should be the backup and not your primary option.
Agreed. The way I'm looking at it is this: Unless, I'm an idiot and have blown the fuse on my GFCI shunt, and my GFCI has not failed I kill all power to my panel. Unless something has seriously gone wrong with my contactor (or my e-stop switch) I've killed all power past my main relay. If both those have failed simultaneously, I should just expect the incoming meteor impact as I win the lottery.
__________________
Rarian is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #13
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarian View Post
Agreed. The way I'm looking at it is this: Unless, I'm an idiot and have blown the fuse on my GFCI shunt, and my GFCI has not failed I kill all power to my panel. Unless something has seriously gone wrong with my contactor (or my e-stop switch) I've killed all power past my main relay. If both those have failed simultaneously, I should just expect the incoming meteor impact as I win the lottery.
An OH - By the way - The 1 amp fuse I placed in the diagrams is only there to insure that the wiring is done in a proper way. Once completed and tested, it is no longer needed. (It is a initial don't fail on me plan - once done? Not needed.!)

P-J
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #14
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 3,927
Liked 753 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
I went back and forth on the EPO method and opted for the GFCI trip. I looked into proper shunt trip beakers but they're damn costly so opted against. Tripping the GFCI is the next best thing in my opinion. Having the coil power run through the NC block on the EPO is a nice backup plan if for some reason the GFCI doesn't trip, but I think it should be the backup and not your primary option.
Sorry but I must disagree. Unless your control panel falls into your boil kettle, what is the reason for killing the feed? If it did fall into the BK, the gfci would take care of that anyway. Killing the main contactor will kill all power leaving the CP and that is where the issue would be. I think using both methods is smart. If I had to chose one, my e-stop would kill my main contactor and it does.
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #15
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 3,927
Liked 753 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
An OH - By the way - The 1 amp fuse I placed in the diagrams is only there to insure that the wiring is done in a proper way. Once completed and tested, it is no longer needed. (It is a initial don't fail on me plan - once done? Not needed.!)

P-J
Come on PJ. It's there in case you push the big red button without the feed being connected to a gfi breaker. The resistor fries or the fuse blows...what's the difference? I will convince you someday...
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #16
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Come on PJ. It's there in case you push the big red button without the feed being connected to a gfi breaker. The resistor fries or the fuse blows...what's the difference? I will convince you someday...
Go about your mission.

Get over it. You do not stand a chance.!

Good luck.!

(Be carefull here! I'm very old and easily ticked off. I can shut down all of)
Never mind..

Never mind, do what you gotta do. I'll do what I gotta do.
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #17
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 3,927
Liked 753 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

PJ, I love you. I love arguing with you. This place is not the same without you. Cheers!

__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #18
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
PJ, I love you. I love arguing with you. This place is not the same without you. Cheers!
You came damn close to me shutting down all of my diagrams. (Because of your close affiliations with a significant moderator.)

Do what you gotta do...
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 3,927
Liked 753 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You came damn close to me shutting down all of my diagrams. (Because of your close affiliations with a significant moderator.)

Do what you gotta do...
I have no knowledge of that. It was certainly not my intent. I'm just here offering my opinions with an open mind in case I may learn something (and I definitely have). We disagree on some issues. So be it. No hard feelings on my end.
__________________
lschiavo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,072
Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

If something happens and a lot of liquid falls on my panel - maybe I have a carboy shatter on me, who knows... I want to secure all power.

Really, we're arguing whether it's necessary to kill power in a few feet of supply line. I figure if I'm going to do it, may as well do it all. If shunt trip breakers weren't $400 I'd kill power all the way to the main panel. At least with the leak current I kill power back to the spa panel.

__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)


Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)
BadNewsBrewery is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HERMS build, some electrical questions hopsalot DIY Projects 5 08-12-2011 07:31 PM
Need some advice on this electrical diagram NTabb Electric Brewing 28 03-22-2011 08:55 PM
Need help with my electrical diagram!!! Gabrew Electric Brewing 208 03-05-2011 01:10 AM
Final Electrical diagram, maybe??????????? EuBrew Electric Brewing 12 11-01-2010 10:16 PM
Simple float switch design with electrical diagram droopy Equipment/Sanitation 9 12-19-2004 04:56 PM