Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric vs Natural Gas Homebrew Setup Cost

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewBros View Post
That's freaking awesome, P-J! Thanks a ton for working that up for me! I know the electrical setup that you mention will be a breeze, like I said, he's willing to do whatever I want. He's actually having an electrician come out exclusively to wire up my brewing setup. I will simply tell him that's what I want him to do...The best part is, he will be wiring it up in exchange for a custom homebrew for his fishing club!
You are very welcome. Please keep this thread going with your build. I think you are in for a very pleasant adventure and will never look back to "flame" brewing.

If I can help with added info or any changes you might need, PLEASE let me know.

P-J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Hey Tiber_Brew, do you have the plans you used for your single tier build? the ones that made "building a breeze"? That would really take the guesswork out when I have my stoner welder build it. He usually gets off track midway through and I end up with a really cool, half functional sculpture...

Also, would you be willing to build a counter flow chiller for sale purposes? If so, how much?
Not to take away from a brew sculpture - they are really great. However, I want to give you something to think about.

Here is a rig that was setup by a close dear friend of mine. He used the furniture legs from office desks (surplus office equipment center) as the legs on the Sanke kegs. When he is all done brewing (and cleaning) he just turns them upside down and stacks them. The legs lock them together so the stack cannot fall over. It also only uses the floor space of a single keg. The cost? A huge amount less than a single tier welded frame.

HTH

Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Hey Tiber_Brew, do you have the plans you used for your single tier build? the ones that made "building a breeze"? That would really take the guesswork out when I have my stoner welder build it. He usually gets off track midway through and I end up with a really cool, half functional sculpture...
I'm sure I still do have the plans for the welded stand. It's probably saved on my work computer. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

You might want to review the plans with your welder, and make sure you're both on the same page before he begins.

Also, P-J's suggestion about the furniture legs that secure onto the kegs is a great idea. If space and cost are a factor, you might want to consider something like that. I have no regrets about my stand, but I designated space for it, and had the resources to buy the materials and weld it up.

Quote:
Also, would you be willing to build a counter flow chiller for sale purposes? If so, how much?
Hmmmm....I'm not sure I want to build these things for $$. I started a thread for my previous CF chiller build. You can take a look at what I did there and feel free to ask me for any help. It's a little different than the chiller I made for the single tier eHERMS brewery, but it's the same general idea.

TB
1. Porter 2. Porter 3. Pils 4. Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Pale Ale

Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Here is a diagram that you can use to get there as well.
(Click on the image to see a full scale diagram- printable on 11" x 17" paper)

I spent a little bit just now making this for you.

Hope it helps,
P-J
Your diagram shows the relay on the Auber (7 & 8) going directly to the SSR input. Does that controller put out voltage on 7 & 8 or is it just a relay? If it is just a relay you will need the appropriate power supply to match the voltage needed to trigger the SSR and run that across 7 & 8.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
TheBrewBros
Recipes 

i'm at this weird point where I keep jumping back and forth between Kal's control panel and a much more modest one. I have been making lists of the absolutely necessary functions/features, and basically it ends up as Kal's every time. With kids in the house and a fairly decent responsibility to remain alive, I really want ALL of the safety features. At the same time, I really want the timer and temperature alarm systems to keep me in check and keep my brews as consistently efficient as possible. I know Kal didn't leave anything out, and it's the same price as say Brewmation's system with about a million more features. Besides that, the price is cheaper than I have calculated building it on my own.

I have my kegs, currently being converted to keggles, I have a lot of the little things that will save me money, too. I think I'm going to finish my keggles (polished, all the hookups and false bottom, spigots, ball valves, HERMS), and then build my stand and add my tubing and pumps and heating elements. Hopefully by then I will be able to widdle down Kal's idea, or be able to afford it, haha. I know not having to buy the brew pots, getting cheaper pumps, and not going TOTALLY crazy with everything will save me some coin.

To be REALLY honest, I have everything in my cart on Kal's site, right now. I am minutes away from just ordering it all. Having no real electrical background, I can see building it from scratch being a total disaster for me.

Quote:
Not to take away from a brew sculpture - they are really great. However, I want to give you something to think about.

Here is a rig that was setup by a close dear friend of mine. He used the furniture legs from office desks (surplus office equipment center) as the legs on the Sanke kegs. When he is all done brewing (and cleaning) he just turns them upside down and stacks them. The legs lock them together so the stack cannot fall over. It also only uses the floor space of a single keg. The cost? A huge amount less than a single tier welded frame.

HTH
My only concern with this setup is the brew day to brew day routine. I really want everything ready to go at the drop of a hat. Any extra work is just another deterrent for me. I have very limited time and a whole setup/breadown routine would get old for me. Also, things that have been worked out (ie - pump location) would not be standard in that setup, thus possibly adding another variable to my brewday. I think that's a great idea, but fortunately I have a few other welder buddies, and I have the space. I appreciate the idea, though, I never would have thought of that.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Caboose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
That is great news for you.
See if you can get him to do your 240V 30A run as a 4 wire run with a 4 prong outlet. Get a GFCI breaker installed in the mains panel as well. All of this will make your setup a lot safer and MUCH easier to wire and control.

For cost: Take a look at this Excel spread sheet that I made up:
Brew_Parts_Order_Form.xls
I filled in the items that should get you to where you want to be, including the project box from Auber Instruments.
It's just at $278 as is. You can use the TAB key to navigate to the quantity fields to change them.

Here is a diagram that you can use to get there as well.
(Click on the image to see a full scale diagram- printable on 11" x 17" paper)

I spent a little bit just now making this for you.

Hope it helps,
P-J
Thanks for post the cost list, I am also wanting to build a system and have been adding up the cost between elec and gas. The only question I have it I noticed that your total is only including some of the items. Are the items that list as 0 not needed/extra?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Hey guys, I've been here a little while, mostly reading, but I think it's time for a post.

I am at a very important crossroads here. I am really debating whether my homebrew setup will be electric, natural gas, or simply propane. Living in IL, I would like to retain the possibility to brew inside, otherwise I'll miss a good 6 months of the year. That leads me to electric.

However, after doing a tiny bit of research, I see things like the Electric Brewery and think that there is no way I can afford to build an electric setup. I would like you guys to give me a real rough estimate of the cost to setup your electric brewing system (with a link to the build, or a pic, or something) so that I can finally make up my mind.
My Countertop Brutus 20 is specifically designed for indoor space constraints (and 120V power though that doesn't appear to be an issue for you). Detailed HBT build thread here. Easily built for < $500.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #18
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash View Post
Your diagram shows the relay on the Auber (7 & 8) going directly to the SSR input. Does that controller put out voltage on 7 & 8 or is it just a relay? If it is just a relay you will need the appropriate power supply to match the voltage needed to trigger the SSR and run that across 7 & 8.
The PID referenced is a SYL-2352. Terminal 7 & 8 are output terminals for direct SSR control. Take a look at the manual (page 1) for more info:
Auber Instrument Instruction Manual SYL-2352
Keep in mind the manual also covers a relay out unit (SYL-2342)

Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #19
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
For cost: Take a look at this Excel spread sheet that I made up:
Brew_Parts_Order_Form.xls
I filled in the items that should get you to where you want to be, including the project box from Auber Instruments.
It's just at $278 as is. You can use the TAB key to navigate to the quantity fields to change them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
Thanks for post the cost list, I am also wanting to build a system and have been adding up the cost between elec and gas. The only question I have it I noticed that your total is only including some of the items. Are the items that list as 0 not needed/extra?
The Excel sheet (first quote above) includes many different items for different configurations. You can save the sheet to your PC and then make changes to customize it for your planned system. The Qty column and the one before it X are open so that they can be changed. (Re: the X column - I place an X or a > in that column to indicate if an item was ordered or is pending order.) Just use the 'tab' and 'shift tab' keys to navigate. The entries that show in Blue are links to the suppliers and the products. Click on them to see the information.

The sheet - as it is marked - was customized for the diagram I posted for TheBrewBros. It does not contain everything that might be needed (most of it is). You can also unprotect the sheet so that you can add additional items as you see fit. (The sheet in not password protected.)

I hope it helps you.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
HHammer
Recipes 

Thanks to all of you for this, This is exactly the post I was looking for. subscribed!

Quick Reply