Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric vs. Natural Gas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4629 Times on 4532 Posts
Likes Given: 2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
That's a big depends. Depending on the area that you live in, you can pull a permit and do it yourself. You then have it inspected & you are good to go. The only thing that needs to be handled by an electrician (or DIY with a permit) is the wiring & install of the power outlet for the brewery. Everything beyond the outlet - no problem. IMHO.
MMB was simply saying he was concerned with insurance liabilities if using gas. I was simply pointing out the same risks for electric. His preference to brew outside (to avoid either scenario/risk) is nice and all, but that was not part of the OP's question or considerations.

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the information. I'll probably stick with NG and find a better way to evacuate the heat during the summer months.

And I understand the concerns with fire and that is why I am very careful. The room is drywalled, which never gets hot from the burners and I have a CO2 detector in the room and an extinguisher on hand if needed.

I'll take the heat for the convenience of having everything I need right there and not have to worry about weather conditions outside to brew.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dude go electric, you'll never regret it. I just brewed last week, it was 95f outside, and 74f in my brew room at full boil, it's awesome.

_

Old 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Dude go electric, you'll never regret it. I just brewed last week, it was 95f outside, and 74f in my brew room at full boil, it's awesome.

_
Oh thanks, now I may change my mind again. I would like to do electric someday, but I think the cost outweighs the need right now. A few months of brewing in a hot room is tolerable vs. spending $100's right now. In the winter I open a few windows adjacent to the brew room and it is down right cozy.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--

Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waunabeer View Post
Oh thanks, now I may change my mind again. I would like to do electric someday, but I think the cost outweighs the need right now. A few months of brewing in a hot room is tolerable vs. spending $100's right now. In the winter I open a few windows adjacent to the brew room and it is down right cozy.
Plus you live in Wisconsin, it's only hot for a month out of the year. All things considered, i'd still go electric even if heat wasn't an issue, it's so glorious.

_

Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Plus you live in Wisconsin, it's only hot for a month out of the year. All things considered, i'd still go electric even if heat wasn't an issue, it's so glorious.

_
Exactly. Someday I'll go electric run off of my solar panels that I will put on the roof.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I've done stove top, propane, ng & electric.

Electric easily wins on indoor convenience as I hate being outside and fighting with the yellow jackets and other pests who like beer. As to costs, how much could it really amount to over a years time for a casual home brewer?

For pizza - outdoor NG, tinkered with to 900F can't be beat unless you go wood burning oven. A bit off topic but I love the pizza as much as the beer.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waunabeer View Post
Thanks P-J. I've seen many of your posts on electric brewing and am considering it very much. I am good with basic wiring and think I can do it all, but just don't know where to start. I have one 15 gal. brew pot and one 12 gal. hlt now and don't know if I should convert them or start with new pots including adding a mash tun and another pump or what.
Your brew pot is good & the HLT is just fine as well. No need to throw money away. Going electric is not ALL that expensive. You already have the kettles and a pump. You do not really need a second pump & this all can be operated as a single level setup. If you want a separate mash tun, just go and buy a 10 gallon Rubbermaid drinking water cooler. As far as the expense on the PID and other controller items, you are looking at about $230 for the setup. This includes the PID, SSR, temperature probe and connectors, controller case, switches and a couple of heating elements. (Plus a little more for wire.)

It's not all that bad but something that only you can decide. If you do decide to have a go at it, I'd be glad to make a custom diagram for your setup.

P-J

Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #19
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Your brew pot is good & the HLT is just fine as well. No need to throw money away. Going electric is not ALL that expensive. You already have the kettles and a pump. You do not really need a second pump & this all can be operated as a single level setup. If you want a separate mash tun, just go and buy a 10 gallon Rubbermaid drinking water cooler. As far as the expense on the PID and other controller items, you are looking at about $230 for the setup. This includes the PID, SSR, temperature probe and connectors, controller case, switches and a couple of heating elements. (Plus a little more for wire.)

It's not all that bad but something that only you can decide. If you do decide to have a go at it, I'd be glad to make a custom diagram for your setup.

P-J
You're awesome. I downloaded your excel spreadsheet that you created for another member as well as your wiring schematic. Is this what is needed to make it happen?

I already have a 48qt. mash tun, but was thinking of making one out of a kettle with a false bottom so I could do more step mashes.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Basically - yes. For your setup there are things that you don't need at all.
Multifunction timer
Indicator Lights 125V
One of the switches would be change to a different type (close to the same cost)
One switch is eliminated
And a second 5500W element added. (plus a few incidentals)
I come up with $237.91 on the sheet.

I'm not sure but I think the diagram might be for a BIAB system. Yours would be a little different.

Quick Reply